TheBort

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 41   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Jam Appreciation  (Read 82078 times)

Puddy

• Waxstronaut
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: >< Jigsaw
Re: Random Jam Appreciation
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2013, 11:35:49 AM »

2011-01-27 - August - The most beautiful soaring, uplifting jam I've ever heard. (yes I like it more than the UMbowl 2 one) Its pretty much a Jake solo work. Whenever you are feeling down give this is a listen.

this is my favorite jam of the last 2 years.  patient, tasteful and then soars into the peak > launches into double time > shred peak.  god I love this jam.

Yawnspterodactyl

• Umphreak
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2013, 02:28:38 PM »

9/7/06 JaJunk

AvocadoRivalry

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: AIT, Bridgeless, Words, Pequod
  • The sun it seems, is lifted from my dreams.
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2013, 02:38:44 PM »

2011-01-27 - August - The most beautiful soaring, uplifting jam I've ever heard. (yes I like it more than the UMbowl 2 one) Its pretty much a Jake solo work. Whenever you are feeling down give this is a listen.

this is my favorite jam of the last 2 years.  patient, tasteful and then soars into the peak > launches into double time > shred peak.  god I love this jam.

Definitely an under-appreciated jam from a show that has quite a few noteworthy jams (Great American, IC, Reso, repeat MO).

Another jam that is super uplifting and tops the UMBowl soaring jams is 09/22/11 N2F. Three distinct sections, the third of which has a similar ending with the soaring jake riff into double time. One of my favs from 2011.
UM Bowl > Day after?

Save_the_Garys

• Bisconaut
  • Umphreak
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2013, 04:08:47 PM »

trying to pick some random, older jams i saw that don't really get any mentions around here

8-25-07 - intentions clear, crooked one *> tribute > crooked one, *N2F fake-out

12-29-07 - kitchen, higgins

4-18-09 - CWII (trust me), all in time

canopy run in august 2009 - bridgeless, dump city

10-10-09 -  phil's farm, much obliged!

holidaze 2009 - ocean billy, HBB, kabump
- straight from the gutter

boarder1720

• Umphreak
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2013, 05:27:00 PM »

5/31/08 Water

5.27.05 Water (Late Night Scamp)

This is the future bitches.  Anal is the new oral.

WallyTheWappyWizard

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2013, 10:42:26 PM »

Ringo 10/29/10.  The first 8 minutes aren't spectacular, but the last 6 or so (starting from about the 8:30 mark) is some of the funkiest and tightest playing I've heard from them.  The animals are exceptionally greasy on this one.

Bron Yr Aur

• Umphreak
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2013, 11:05:46 PM »

Ringo 10/29/10.  The first 8 minutes aren't spectacular, but the last 6 or so (starting from about the 8:30 mark) is some of the funkiest and tightest playing I've heard from them.  The animals are exceptionally greasy on this one.

Disagree with you about this one.  1st jam > 2nd jam on that Ringo. 

That buzzing, neurotic jam with Jake/Joel trading phrases is really nice.

But the MO, Crooked1, Fir, and Bottom 1/2 jams from that show are also excellent.

boarder1720

• Umphreak
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2013, 11:18:11 PM »

Crooked One > Meeting In The Aisle from 7/15/09 Des Moines
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 11:21:55 PM by boarder1720 »

Sociable Hodor

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2013, 11:20:31 PM »

But the MO, Crooked1, Fir, and Bottom 1/2 jams from that show are also excellent.

This Ringo sounds interesting. Gotta check it out.

BootyWaxxxer

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Passing
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2013, 03:36:39 AM »

2/27/08- In the Kitchen. Great show all around. Other highlights are The Fuzz and Tribute

2/28/07- Professor Wormbog

10/23/08- Eat > The Bottom Half > Eat
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 04:04:12 AM by BootyWaxxxer »
You cant hold no groove if you aint got no pocket

boarder1720

• Umphreak
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2013, 09:41:38 AM »

10.3.08 Eat from Peoria

jessek

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2013, 10:56:01 AM »

September '06 is a great month for improv... the Songlist Shows from the Northeast are incredible... but here are some great jams from a lesser hyped show that happened just before.

09/21/06 @ the Fox has a run to end first set and start the second that contains spectacular improvisation.

Fuzz > Snucka [set break] Breathe, Robot World > Stew

Fuzz has a filthy blues-based Robinson's Strut with some great work from Jake leading into the composed strut section.
Snucka has a huge 2 part Stewart.  It's the first time they opened Snucka up before Aces, and the best snucka I've heard.  First is a dark meandering sinister thing that sort of dissolves, second starts as a weird staccato "Knight Rider" bounceback with some excellent work from both Jake and Bayliss.  It evolves as Bayliss finds a great circular riff that entire band catches on to and peaks... then devolves before dropping perfectly back into the Splitting Aces section.  It's one of the best jams I've witnessed.

and then after the set break, they come back with

Breathe contains a nice jam that ventures just far enough off the path to keep it interesting
Robot World > Stew  has another 2 part Stewart. First is a heavy, industrial bounceback, second is light with a euphoric peak and soft landing

Neither the Snucka, nor the Robot World are tracked correctly on the archive so if you want to hear the full jams... you'll need to listen to the songs as well.

Pookells

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Remind Me, Synco
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2013, 04:01:21 PM »

6/12/2007 Syncopated Strangers > Push The Pig > Syncopated Strangers is quite awesome!

11/04/2010 Wappy Sprayberry > Girlfriend Is Better

02/08/2008 Utopian Fir > Jimmy Stewart > Mullet (Over) > Utopian Fir.  Strange looking one, I know, but trust me, UM made this one work and it is OUTSTANDING!
lol y'all are some authoritarian loving motherfuckers.

~Dom~

• Umphreak
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2013, 04:29:23 PM »

the first keefer was amazing.

Hilikus

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Don't Laugh (I love you)
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2013, 06:04:56 PM »

September '06 is a great month for improv... the Songlist Shows from the Northeast are incredible... but here are some great jams from a lesser hyped show that happened just before.

09/21/06 @ the Fox has a run to end first set and start the second that contains spectacular improvisation.

Fuzz > Snucka [set break] Breathe, Robot World > Stew

Fuzz has a filthy blues-based Robinson's Strut with some great work from Jake leading into the composed strut section.
Snucka has a huge 2 part Stewart.  It's the first time they opened Snucka up before Aces, and the best snucka I've heard.  First is a dark meandering sinister thing that sort of dissolves, second starts as a weird staccato "Knight Rider" bounceback with some excellent work from both Jake and Bayliss.  It evolves as Bayliss finds a great circular riff that entire band catches on to and peaks... then devolves before dropping perfectly back into the Splitting Aces section.  It's one of the best jams I've witnessed.

and then after the set break, they come back with

Breathe contains a nice jam that ventures just far enough off the path to keep it interesting
Robot World > Stew  has another 2 part Stewart. First is a heavy, industrial bounceback, second is light with a euphoric peak and soft landing

Neither the Snucka, nor the Robot World are tracked correctly on the archive so if you want to hear the full jams... you'll need to listen to the songs as well.

boarder1720

• Umphreak
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2013, 06:19:22 PM »

The Lyrical Stew Hat Trick
9.13.07 Walletsworth
9.14.07 Nemo
9.15.07 Great American

Awesome run.

Also

3.24.07 Robot World > So What?*

w/ Kevin Sinclair

LandLandNever

• Umphreak
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2013, 11:02:44 PM »

7/28/07 DBK.  I will fluff this 40 minute monster until I die.  FOUR distinct great jams AND a drum solo. 

jessek

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2013, 09:07:33 AM »

2008-06-06 Resolution

Put this one on for the first time in a long time last night.  WOW.

alexankh

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Conduit>Bottom Half>Conduit
  • Professional Umgineer
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2013, 09:26:02 AM »

The Lyrical Stew Hat Trick
9.13.07 Walletsworth
9.14.07 Nemo
9.15.07 Great American

Awesome run.

Also

3.24.07 Robot World > So What?*

w/ Kevin Sinclair

yup

WallyTheWappyWizard

« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2013, 12:59:26 PM »

I respectfully disagree though I do like the first jam as well, but isn't that one of the coolest things about UM, even within the same song we can have different favorite parts.  Truly something for everyone.  And I second all four of the other jams you listed.  Thanks for mentioning those, I had forgotten how good the Bottom 1/2 and Utopian Fir were.  Some jackass threw a lit cigarette and it hit Bayliss's guitar and sent embers on him while he was playing during the Fir, and that's why he stopped the song to bitch him out.  And I feel like we cannot bring up this show without at least mentioning Burning Down the House, which had some fun jams in it with great keyboard work from Joel.

10.3.08 Eat from Peoria

Right after this Eat is an excellent Got Your Milk jam, which is followed by an Uncle Wally that has an absolutely beautiful Jake solo (though not really a jam).  I would highly recommend both.  And not that it matters much but this was on 10/4 not 10/3.

cryan024

• Funkaholic
  • Umphreak
  • Caged Wisdom changed my life.
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2013, 01:11:11 PM »

2008-06-06 Resolution

Still one of my most listened to pieces of improv by any band, ever.  Far and away the best Reso they have ever played, IMO.
People of zee wurl, Relax!!

WOLFpacker16

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Reso, Example 1, Tribute, DBK
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2013, 06:31:18 PM »

N2F from 7/31/08 Lincoln Theatre, Raleigh

Not really a jam but a section I think is really awesome.  Baylor goes into his n2f solo and after about 10 seconds jake comes in with this little dub riff and eventually joel picks up on it and mirrors it on the piano, then Bayliss just starts working his solo off those 2 riffing.  Really cool and unique, doesn't hurt that bayliss slays the whole section as well
If you look I'm sure you'd see, nothing's really as it seems...

Ethiopia

• Favorite Track:: Those 3 minutes back into N2F
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2013, 10:05:25 AM »

By the way the 2011-03-17 Much Obliged jam should have been considered for Hall of Fame Class of 2011. Just gorgeous.

Andrusy

• Umphreak
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2013, 10:41:48 AM »

2008-06-06 Resolution

Still one of my most listened to pieces of improv by any band, ever.  Far and away the best Reso they have ever played, IMO.

Agreed, That first segment is arguably the best jam I have ever heard this band do, and is bar none the best Reso I have ever heard as well.

WOLFpacker16

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Reso, Example 1, Tribute, DBK
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2013, 02:30:33 PM »

Threw on 10/16/07 today and that Tribute jam is just so patient in developing and peaking.  Really good
If you look I'm sure you'd see, nothing's really as it seems...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 41   Go Up