TheBort

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 471 472 [473]   Go Down

Author Topic: Random, spontaneous and sometimes irrelevant thoughts and discussions about UM s  (Read 761251 times)

cshore

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Anything w/ Sad Bayliss

It's interesting because sometimes they struck gold in that era obviously.

A couple others off my that don't do anything for me would be 10KLF Jajunk and Paris Bath.

Then there's obviously jams I really like like Vancouver Crooked One and 11/10/06 Blue Echo.

As a whole though, I think what most stands out to me is that I much, much prefer Kris and Andy now compared to 10+ years ago. They weren't remotely bad or anything back in the day but they were so reliant on backbeat and straight ahead grooves. I think they are a much more experimental rhythm section nowadays (including Stasik too). Combined with Joel and Bayliss having access to better and more keys/effects for soundscapes and textures and the net result is just a deeper and more effective sound. I go back and forth on Jake. Obviously older Jake was less annoying sometimes and he didn't step on jams quite as much (although I would say he still did sometimes, and he doesn't step on jams these days as much as people make him out to). But I also enjoy a lot of the stuff he does nowadays too.
Nah man you’re reviews are what’s old, literally anything you say is the exact opposite of how the majority of the crowd feels. Get a lilfe you salty depressed loser.

cshore

• Umphreak

I also enjoy darker jamming which I think is more prevalent in 2010-present UM, which is why I'm hoping people post more early recommendations in my spooky/creepy UM thread.
Nah man you’re reviews are what’s old, literally anything you say is the exact opposite of how the majority of the crowd feels. Get a lilfe you salty depressed loser.

sabretooth

• Umphreak
    • All in Time Jig

As a whole though, I think what most stands out to me is that I much, much prefer Kris and Andy now compared to 10+ years ago. They weren't remotely bad or anything back in the day but they were so reliant on backbeat and straight ahead grooves. I think they are a much more experimental rhythm section nowadays (including Stasik too). Combined with Joel and Bayliss having access to better and more keys/effects for soundscapes and textures and the net result is just a deeper and more effective sound. I go back and forth on Jake. Obviously older Jake was less annoying sometimes and he didn't step on jams quite as much (although I would say he still did sometimes, and he doesn't step on jams these days as much as people make him out to). But I also enjoy a lot of the stuff he does nowadays too.

This is a great analysis. :thumbsup:
He will be flogged.

I heard they give the 5 for 20 deals when UM plays Upward though

FussyManDutch

• Mr.
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Nachos For Two
  • Make it fucking count, people

I absolutely love "classic" Umphrey's because I started listening way back in the day. And that may be because it's a nostalgia trip but I agree that they have more layers and are overall "better" than they were back then. But I will always happily go back to a show from '98-04
Simple fact it still remains

UMFree

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Pick's Stew
  • is it time to play sheep yet?

I absolutely love "classic" Umphrey's because I started listening way back in the day. And that may be because it's a nostalgia trip but I agree that they have more layers and are overall "better" than they were back then. But I will always happily go back to a show from '98-04

I can totally understand the nostalgia factor for some of the sillier songs, but TOSOT is the one song that I always think of that should absolutely still be in rotation like Phil's. Not necessarily played as much as Phil's quantity wise, but as far as songs from the beginning that still get played.

If they would have continued to play TOSOT as much as Phil's, who knows how it would have changed or developed over the years.

Bron Yr Aur

• Umphreak

Hard to compare the old stuff to the much more pristine and balanced recordings that Chris puts out.

That said, Jake was just insane back in 06-08.  Dude used to just take over shows and crush peak after peak.  Plus, his default used to be dark aggressive prog licks, now he goes for dissonant jazzy sounds. 

In that era the builds and peaks seemed more drawn out, organic and sustained...you had Stews and hand signals but no talkbacks!  With the talkbacks, the jams are just a little more "orchestrated" and telegraphed.

On the other hand, I'm with cshore on the depth and texture of the bands current sound, and BB's vocals sound better than they ever have.

nextmovement41

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Blue Echo

Hard to compare the old stuff to the much more pristine and balanced recordings that Chris puts out.

That said, Jake was just insane back in 06-08.  Dude used to just take over shows and crush peak after peak.  Plus, his default used to be dark aggressive prog licks, now he goes for dissonant jazzy sounds. 

In that era the builds and peaks seemed more drawn out, organic and sustained...you had Stews and hand signals but no talkbacks!  With the talkbacks, the jams are just a little more "orchestrated" and telegraphed.

On the other hand, I'm with cshore on the depth and texture of the bands current sound, and BB's vocals sound better than they ever have.

100% true. Even 2011 compared to now is night and day.

Southern Dan

• Grown Ass Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Umphreak

I wish we had 2005-2008 Jake style now with the rest of the band as they currently are.  A Dan can dream...

cjbrambo

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Estimated Brahphet
  • serious player

I wish we had 2005-2008 Jake style now with the rest of the band as they currently are.  A Southern Dan can dream...

Andrusy

• Umphreak

Never realized the negative effects of the talkbacks.... We need to protest this!!

UMFree

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Pick's Stew
  • is it time to play sheep yet?

I wish we had 2005-2008 Jake style now with the rest of the band as they currently are...

Winnertakesall

• Umphreak

Never realized the negative effects of the talkbacks.... We need to protest this!!

I had brought up that point to some of my friends a while back and they thought I was crazy. I do really think that some jams could benefit from not being able to say exactly what and when something should happen. It would also lead to a lot more disasters though.

JWelsh

• UM Laison & Webmaster, Architect, Urban Designer, Music Fan
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: The Other Side of Things
  • I'm in charge of lemonade.
    • Umphrey's McGee

I had brought up that point to some of my friends a while back and they thought I was crazy. I do really think that some jams could benefit from not being able to say exactly what and when something should happen. It would also lead to a lot more disasters though.

I am pretty sure the talk-backs started in 2006. And Jake still uses hand signals. So I am not sure about this particular criticism.

cshore

• Umphreak

I am very pro-talkbacks. I think they use them in cool and interesting ways and sometimes they don't use them at all except to say "back to the song" and sometimes not even that. Things like Jake calling chord changes over repeating riffs or cutting certain members in and out are a lot of fun IMO.

cshore

• Umphreak

I love (sometimes hate) the suspense of awaiting for the moment when you realize whether a song will have a jam. Examples: Mantis, Milk, Spires, Fancy, Synco, Nemo etc. Basically any song that sometimes gets a jam and sometimes doesn't.

The ultimate one is Plunger. When you hear that outro riff and Kris drops the beat instead of stopping, that's the best.

wiscomptonslacker

• Umphreak

I love (sometimes hate) the suspense of awaiting for the moment when you realize whether a song will have a jam. Examples: Mantis, Milk, Spires, Fancy, Synco, Nemo etc. Basically any song that sometimes gets a jam and sometimes doesn't.

The ultimate one is Plunger. When you hear that outro riff and Kris drops the beat instead of stopping, that's the best.

I gotta say. This shit still excites me. On the same page 100%

Pookells

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Remind Me, Synco

I love (sometimes hate) the suspense of awaiting for the moment when you realize whether a song will have a jam.

That's my favorite part about seeing UM.
Damn 3/20$ I need to move to Seattle.

Kev347

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: October Rain, Educated Guess

Conversely, when it's the 2nd set, the previous 2 songs they've played were standard, and you're ready for that heavy outro after Plunger but instead Kris just stops, that's the worst. (*cough* 12/29/18 *cough*)

I love the suspense of never knowing what will happen though. The end of Wappy is still always a great suspense moment for me too, because it could literally drop into anything. When it dropped into Uncommon in Charlotte last year it made my life.

cshore

• Umphreak

Conversely, when it's the 2nd set, the previous 2 songs they've played were standard, and you're ready for that heavy outro after Plunger but instead Kris just stops, that's the worst. (*cough* 12/29/18 *cough*)

I love the suspense of never knowing what will happen though. The end of Wappy is still always a great suspense moment for me too, because it could literally drop into anything. When it dropped into Uncommon in Charlotte last year it made my life.

12/29/18 was exactly what I was thinking of when I said I sometimes hate it lol. I really liked the first half of that second set but second half was rough.

terminallyphil

• Oregonizer
  • Umphreak
  • mostly chill, down for a thrill, not tryin to kill

Is there a .5 speed remix of Half Delayed yet?
"What's your melt count?"

Professor Shuapop

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Utopian>N Nurse>Fir; IC>Syncho

I'd like to hear UM cover Kid Charlemagne again

LandLandNever

• Umphreak

I love (sometimes hate) the suspense of awaiting for the moment when you realize whether a song will have a jam.

That's my favorite part about seeing UM.

One of mine too. Sometimes it's intense like when the entire 1st composed section of DBK ends (after the classical part) and I eagerly am on the edge of my seat hoping to hear something I don't know instead of...the beginning of Final Word, for example.
Pages: 1 ... 471 472 [473]   Go Up