TheBort

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 447 448 [449] 450 451 ... 473   Go Down

Author Topic: Random, spontaneous and sometimes irrelevant thoughts and discussions about UM s  (Read 760293 times)

slowciableslowdor

• Umphreak

Robot World sitting at 42 show gap. Only played twice last year. And three times the year before. Criminal.

fucking Search 4 was only played once in 2018. WTF

any tune can improv of u make it into a sandwich 😋

Southern Dan

• Grown Ass Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Umphreak

Robot World sitting at 42 show gap. Only played twice last year. And three times the year before. Criminal.

Hopefully they play it on the boat Tue or Wed!

UMFree

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Pick's Stew
  • is it time to play sheep yet?

Awful. Would love a Search 4/RW at some point in Cincy, but im really ready to end my 12 year chase of The Crooked One.

C'moooon..

Kev347

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: October Rain, Educated Guess

So since it appears "improv sets" have gone by the wayside....who here would be down for a "Jake on keys" set or show? I would definitely GITV for that - lately it feels like a lot of the most creative improv comes from that setup, and I would love to see them have at least 1 set's worth of time to develop momentum with it.

opsopcopolis

• Umphreak

So since it appears "improv sets" have gone by the wayside....who here would be down for a "Jake on keys" set or show? I would definitely GITV for that - lately it feels like a lot of the most creative improv comes from that setup, and I would love to see them have at least 1 set's worth of time to develop momentum with it.

I think it would be interesting, but not for the composed sections. He seems to do it about once per show these days
Fuck you, I'm honestly a very tolerant person.

Jimmy

• Fun Hogger
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Divisions > Chads >Gulf Stream

I think it would be interesting, but not for the composed sections. He seems to do it about once per show these days

How bout a Pony sings all vocals set instead

timewilltell

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: #5 Blecho the haunt, dump city

How bout a Pony sings all vocals set instead
Please no Iíve seen him on the mic once or twice and it is cringe worthy at best.
Quote from: slowciablehodor on March 07, 2017, 06:32:05 PM
Who doesn't love to pee on women?

UMFree

• Umphreak

I'd say Stasik is right on par with Barber

StoneJackBaller

• Umphreak
  • Someday Life Will Be Sweet Like A Rhapsody

Pony/Babz wonderwall duet

Bron Yr Aur

• Umphreak

Terrible.  One if my favorite UM tunes. 

The_k13

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: BURNT FUCKING ENDS

Terrible.  One if my favorite UM tunes.

Pookells

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Remind Me, Synco
Damn 3/20$ I need to move to Seattle.

RedBirdBath

• Favorite Track:: None

Does anybody have a count of how many times Bayliss said 'Hotlanta' last weekend? Getting through the soundboards now and holy shit.

or how many times he said "challoooooonge" after the encore battle

stillloveyoudoh

I "challoooonge" them to leave Mad Dog and the Cincy Horns at home at the Taft

Zero percent chance they donít make an appearance. Hoping itís just one day like last year (thinking they did Friday last year and Saturday was horns-free). I dig the horns in small doses, but am always concerned a New Years type sit-in will go down.

RedBirdBath

• Favorite Track:: None

Awful. Would love a Search 4/RW at some point in Cincy, but im really ready to end my 12 year chase of The Crooked One.

C'moooon..

Oof, thatís a long wait. Love that tune. Would be beyond down for Crooked One in Cincy and hope you get it, but am also selfishly hoping for Search 4 (six year chase for me).

Jimmy

• Fun Hogger
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Divisions > Chads >Gulf Stream

C'moooon..

Oof, thatís a long wait. Love that tune. Would be beyond down for Crooked One in Cincy and hope you get it, but am also selfishly hoping for Search 4 (six year chase for me).

Welp, Passing wasn't played at all in 2018. So there's that. Neither was 13 Days.

Robot Mode

• Umphreak
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Until We Meet Again

What the hell is "challoooonge" referencing when Mad Dog and Bayliss yell it out? The horns vs. band things are cool IMO, but tainted by this. Just give me sweet little instrumental interludes

this guy I saw on the Cosby show was the first thing I thought of

Pookells

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Remind Me, Synco

Welp, Passing wasn't played at all in 2018. So there's that. Neither was 13 Days.

Hopefully, 13 Days and Search 4 make a comeback this year!
Damn 3/20$ I need to move to Seattle.

Whistle Kid

• Favorite Track:: It's Us

I've been having trouble enjoying a lot of the shows this year because it feels like a lot of their jamming has settled into overly repetitive, uninteresting jams.  At least with Stews they had focused bouncebacks and sections that really allowed them to open up for some collective improv.  Even JOs had a free form feel that while repetitive at times never felt stale.  So many shows I listen to this year--or jams that bortians rave about--I listen to and just feel disappointed.  Always keep listening though...   :whistle:

The Abstract

• OKlahomeh
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: FDR
  • What it has will surely last but is that Jazz?

The thing I hate about rarely played songs that had heavier rotation is that they tend to be a bit more sloppy since they havenít played it in a year or two. All Things Ninja from Canopy this fall was horrible, IMO. Even the last Search 4 didnít sound as polished.
"Well, opinions are like assholes...everybody has one."-Det. Harry Callahan

StoneJackBaller

• Umphreak
  • Someday Life Will Be Sweet Like A Rhapsody

They've only played 2 shows this year ;)

But I guess I hear what you're saying in a certain respect. Admittedly I wasn't around for these days...but UM will likely never return to the long luscious, loose, jazzy, off the hip, freeform glory that was '06-'08.

It's much more scripted nowadays and there are very clearly defined jam sections. Almost to the point where they aren't even part of the song anymore. It's like Ringo > Jam > Ringo > Jam. Or Wappy > huge dance jam > Wappy. It all feels very predictable. The segues are nowhere near as buttery and the shows are (for the most part) all constructed in the same fashion. I'm not gonna lie, I've left several shows in the past couple years feeling disappointed, wondering why they couldn't give me exactly what I wanted.

I think when I let that go and just enjoy what they do....I have a much better time.

They obvi have many more songs now and shamelessly beat them into the ground to grab new fans attention. It often leaves little room to get weird or experiment.

Having said that, I really like UMs new direction. I think the past 2 years rival any of their best ::ducks:: They are growing up and so are we. The jams are still there and the party definitely never left. They are still trying new things and constantly writing new songs. They're also getting better at playing together. To the point where they don't need as many hand signals and talk backs. They just play. They still have a lot of fun.

They may have given up on the 3 song sets and JOs. They may not have...UM is constantly growing and it may come back. But for now, I'll continue to enjoy each show and nerding out with my homies.

To each their own my dude. There's always tDB (and now Spaff) throwing down interesting, creative improv every single show.

StonedJackFluffer checking out
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 10:42:18 PM by StoneJackBaller »

opsopcopolis

• Umphreak

I'm not sure you guys really understand the whole stew/JO thing. It's basically all just improv (although stews are generally thought of as more 'composed' using handsignals and bouncebacks.) While they did away with bouncebacks for a while (somebody refresh my memory...2010ish?) they play them pretty regularly these days. There was at least 1 in Richmond. As for JOs that basically just encompasses the rest of the improv. It's used on setlists to note improv generally.
Fuck you, I'm honestly a very tolerant person.

FussyManDutch

• Mr.
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Nachos For Two
  • Make it fucking count, people

I've been having trouble enjoying a lot of the shows this year because it feels like a lot of their jamming has settled into overly repetitive, uninteresting jams.  At least with Stews they had focused bouncebacks and sections that really allowed them to open up for some collective improv.  Even JOs had a free form feel that while repetitive at times never felt stale.  So many shows I listen to this year--or jams that bortians rave about--I listen to and just feel disappointed.  Always keep listening though...   :whistle:

See I'm in the opposite camp. I've viewed their jamming this past year as entirely more patient and relaxed rather than repetitive. And Stews and JO/jams are essentially the same thing as opsop posted. They haven't been noted as different in a few years. There was 2 "Jimmy Stewarts" last year:

http://allthings.umphreys.com/stats/stats.php?q=year:2018;operator:and&stat=stews

Compared to 137 in 2006:

http://allthings.umphreys.com/stats/stats.php?q=year:2006;operator:and&stat=stews
Simple fact it still remains

UMFree

• Umphreak

See I'm in the opposite camp. I've viewed their jamming this past year as entirely more patient and relaxed rather than repetitive. And Stews and JO/jams are essentially the same thing as opsop posted. They haven't been noted as different in a few years. There was 2 "Jimmy Stewarts" last year:

http://allthings.umphreys.com/stats/stats.php?q=year:2018;operator:and&stat=stews

Compared to 137 in 2006:

http://allthings.umphreys.com/stats/stats.php?q=year:2006;operator:and&stat=stews

+1

great posts SJB and WK. The whole thing, to me, is that you definitely have to grow with the band. I got burnt the fuck out around 2013 from hitting as many shows as I possibly could from 2006-2012. I honestly dont even really know much about the shows that happened from 2013-2016. I thought I was just movin on to different genres, but UM has always crept back into my life one way or another and now it feels really good to be back in it. But it feels that way because I'm an entirely different person/in a different place now than I was when I first started really seeing them in 06. I can appreciate and understand that they are a well oiled machine now and if things arent organically happening, then there is always structure and fall backs to ensure that the fans still get a good show. I do admit that they play it much safer these days, but again, I think that's bc they aren't abunch of young dudes on tour 150 dates a year and they want to deliver a consistently good show as much as possible when they are out on the road.

The good news is that the mojo is still 100% there. You might have to GITMFV every once in awhile, but there's still gold in them hills. I am so fucking stoked with how 2018 turned out for UM and I am primed and ready for more in 2019.

1/25, 2/1, 3/17, 7/6, 8/18, 10/18, 12/30

There's really just about something for everyone in the list of 2018's best shows and if you don't like any of em, THEN YOU CAN GEET OUT!

But for real though, maybe it's time for a break WK? And that's totally cool! It always feels great to come back.

BrockSamson

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: AiT,Mulche's,Phils,Tribute,ATN

Did they play yesterday?

nextmovement41

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Blue Echo

Did they play yesterday?

Schedule says they did, and tonight I guess
Pages: 1 ... 447 448 [449] 450 451 ... 473   Go Up