TheBort

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 377 378 [379] 380 381 ... 389   Go Down

Author Topic: Random, spontaneous and sometimes irrelevant thoughts and discussions about UM s  (Read 531947 times)

UncleDutchman

• I'll think of something better later
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Ringo HBB August 40s Blue Echo
  • Don't take me too seriously, it's the internet

# of tickets sold is their biggest obstacle - nice venues have a lot of overhead to pay for, and chicago union labor is expensive

OBEY MY FUCKING SHEEP

iamkickinit

• Umphreak

# of tickets sold is their biggest obstacle - nice venues have a lot of overhead to pay for, and chicago union labor is expensive

But they play Northerly Island?

opsopcopolis

• Umphreak

Sometimes (not saying this is the case always) the unions only operate in theatrical venues. It's very possible they work in Chicago Theater, Aud, etc... but not Aragon, Northerly, etc...

I know DC is that way. Warner, DAR, Kennedy Center, Strathmore are all union houses. 930, Fillmore, etc.. are not
Fuck you, I'm honestly a very tolerant person.

iamkickinit

• Umphreak

^ thank you. That makes some sense.

Jimmy

• Fun Hogger
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Draconian

Didn't know whether to put this here or in the "what do you appreciate today?" thread, but after buying NYE tickets, 2017 will easily be the most I've seen Umphrey's in one year since 2007. Feels good!

cshore

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Chapter 5

Why does UM suck at putting up UMlives again

CaptCrunchyGum

• Favorite Track:: Bridgeless

ive said it before and ill say it again, but i miss the podcast releases.

halleyscomet8

• Umphreak

they played an unprepared venue on thursday that i assume did not have easy internet for it to be uploaded with. add onto that they had no real stage crew to help them load out. 20 minutes after the show there was one person onstage breaking gear down that was not traveling on the bus. so i imagine load out last night took a really long time and was shitty for everybody involved. these are some of my guesses as to why thursday is not up yet. i really wanted to listen on my walk home from work a few minutes ago and was bummed.

Yawnspterodactyl

• Umphreak

They're both up your majesty

The_k13

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Cloud Generator

JWelsh

• UM Laison & Webmaster, Architect, Urban Designer, Music Fan
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: The Other Side of Things
  • I'm in charge of lemonade.
    • Umphrey's McGee

Not sure what you are referring to specifically. But they had to wait to upload Thursday until there was a broadcast with Sirius. Last night and the night before were uploaded to the Nugs servers early this morning, and both should be available for you.

opsopcopolis

• Umphreak

I hope ya'll know not to take Colin seriously. I think he's still shellshocked from the lack of NYC UMLive
Fuck you, I'm honestly a very tolerant person.

sabretooth

• Umphreak

Hearing the lyrics drop in "2nd Self" or the chorus of "Much Obliged" will grab me in a way a newer Umph song doesn't. Umphrey's is a jam band with great instrumental chops, but old-school Bayliss vocals are at the heart and soul of the band, too. The pre-divorce lyricist that is Brendan Bayliss was just some wide-eyed, enthusiastic 20-something kid that got a chance to travel the country with his band, and hearing that is worlds different than the 40-something road veteran nowadays.

gatroe

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Jump the Shark

You should stop before you say something you don't mean.
You've got to risk it for that biscuit.

Im not a buy the pack type.. more of the bum a cig type which is arguably worse.

PKSConrad

• Grown Ass Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Umphreak

All good artists evolve over time...I still love Bayliss' lyrics even though he is singing about different stuff since he's older now.

iamkickinit

• Umphreak

All good artists evolve over time...I still love Bayliss' lyrics even though he is singing about different stuff since he's older now.

I love how clever he can be with words. Personally, I think he's one of the better lyricists in music.*

* - I'm talking strictly lyrics. Not the delivery of them.

rutasea

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Phil's Dump

Hearing the lyrics drop in "2nd Self" or the chorus of "Much Obliged" will grab me in a way a newer Umph song doesn't. Umphrey's is a jam band with great instrumental chops, but old-school Bayliss vocals are at the heart and soul of the band, too. The pre-divorce lyricist that is Brendan Bayliss was just some wide-eyed, enthusiastic 20-something kid that got a chance to travel the country with his band, and hearing that is worlds different than the 40-something road veteran nowadays.

I agree 100%.  It's not that he can't have flickers of those old days in a newer and more mature way, but he just wrote monster tunes with amazing lyrics back then and rarely impresses me the way he used to. 

SteveDet

• Umphreak

but he just wrote monster tunes with amazing lyrics back then and rarely impresses me the way he used to.

This echoes the opinion folks have of basically every musician ever. Glad to see Bayliss is quite normal.

NJH973

• Umphreak

I love the fills in the last part of Ringo, especially when they tease a riff or theme from the second Ringo jam. It's cool in general when the improv gets worked into a composed section. Bayliss will do it in his solos sometimes although can't recall any examples off of the top of my head

sabretooth

• Umphreak

I love the fills in the last part of Ringo, especially when they tease a riff or theme from the second Ringo jam. It's cool in general when the improv gets worked into a composed section. Bayliss will do it in his solos sometimes although can't recall any examples off of the top of my head

Missoula N2 this year is one example of this. (03/04/2017 I think?)

PKSConrad

• Grown Ass Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Umphreak

Missoula N2 this year is one example of this. (03/04/2017 I think?)

N3 of the first Chucktown Ball this was done as well...

JahElway

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: August

I have every Bayliss lyric ever tattooed on my body
Money trees is the perfect place for shade

rutasea

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Phil's Dump

but he just wrote monster tunes with amazing lyrics back then and rarely impresses me the way he used to.

This echoes the opinion folks have of basically every musician ever. Glad to see Bayliss is quite normal.

Love BB but not sure what company you're trying to elevate him to.  It's cute though  :-*

SteveDet

• Umphreak

Love BB but not sure what company you're trying to elevate him to.  It's cute though  :-*

I'm not. Just saying that "this artist isn't quite as good as they used to be" describes almost every artist ever. And not just music. Art, movies, TV, comedy, music, etc...most people have their most creative moments when younger and full of ideas. As they get older, they stay home more, are exposed to less influences, and now have different priorities and this naturally effects their art. I'm just saying it's a very natural thing and isn't unique to Bayliss.

UncleDutchman

• I'll think of something better later
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Ringo HBB August 40s Blue Echo
  • Don't take me too seriously, it's the internet

New poll bump

OBEY MY FUCKING SHEEP
Pages: 1 ... 377 378 [379] 380 381 ... 389   Go Up