TheBort

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 463   Go Down

Author Topic: Random, spontaneous and sometimes irrelevant thoughts and discussions about UM s  (Read 744169 times)

The_k13

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: BURNT FUCKING ENDS

^ that hooked my brother in Noho last year.  The second the demon thing happened his eyes went wide and he turned to me with a shit eating grin on his face

Exactly. I saw the same thing happen to a friend of mine when I brought him to his first UM show last year. I happen to love that little part (especially when Waful brings the evil red lights along with it). I am also a reformed metal head, so ya know...

EXACTLY ... the demon voice is sooo sweet!

UncleDutchman

• I'll think of something better later
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Ringo HBB August 40s Blue Echo
  • Don't take me too seriously, it's the internet

IMO the 2.28.08 Uncle Wally stew is one of the most underrated by all of the fans; it's pure rock and roll. Fantastic layered progressions, a nice driving building tempo, great riffs and dual guitar work throughout, epic shredding peak at the end. Its dancy, but in a pure rock and roll type of way. And the last few minutes of it give me the jaw dropping, mind and hair blowing, shit eating grin, head banging type of umprov that I fucking love.

3000th post!!!! Ive wasted more time here than nearly all of you
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 04:25:17 PM by uncledutchman »

OBEY MY FUCKING SHEEP

dtbar1

• Favorite Track:: 2x2, Example 1, Dump City

Favorite BB band names?

Andy Farag and the Fabric Softners
and
Joel Cummins and the Questionable Methods are my favs

I am a big fan of Wasted Stasik and the Hate Machine

soup

• Favorite Track:: Dump City,Sociable Jimmy,Synco

Favorite BB band names?

Andy Farag and the Fabric Softners
and
Joel Cummins and the Questionable Methods are my favs

Murph and the Magic Tones

EatLiquidWater

The first show I ever listened to was 3/5/2007 at the fox in Boulder. Words was what got my attention and tinkles roped me in. My first show was on 4/12/2007 in Boston and due to the moshing, I wasn't sure that i was going back. I guess a little Sludge and Death brings out the best in everyone. I made it out to the fox in boulder on 9/1/2008 for the acoustic show. Kind of ironic that my favorite show occurred at the same place where all started for me. My second favorite show was on 4/10/2008 at the Rev hall. That Billy Jean jam inside Bright Lights is one of my fondest UM memories ever. So much fun. Oh and UM often brings me to tears as well. Only real men cry when listening to music.

▀mazz

• Umphreak

talked about this with some friends at scamp, but am I the only one who would rather see a show just open with a song instead of a JO> ?

It'd be sweet if they started occasionally mixing some of their intros into the set (without the pre-recorded walk-on parts, of course) and using them as a jam vehicle.

Kev347

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: October Rain, Educated Guess

So I listened to the 9/9/11 show per the recommendation of one of the folks in this thread. Very fine show. The other standout besides Bridgeless in that show to me was the All In Time, and it got me thinking -AIT has to be one of their most diverse songs, in terms of jams. You get a standard drum solo/rock jam half the time, but I've heard AITs recently take on an evil prog metal feel, a country feel, and of course the one in 9/9 starts off almost reggae and then becomes a beautiful soaring, uplifting jam. So I want to know, what are some really different, exploratory AITs? I'm sure there are a lot of good ones out there.

mikem0487

• Umphreak
  • @mikem0487
    • @mikem0487

talked about this with some friends at scamp, but am I the only one who would rather see a show just open with a song instead of a JO> ?

It'd be sweet if they started occasionally mixing some of their intros into the set (without the pre-recorded walk-on parts, of course) and using them as a jam vehicle.

Couldnt agree more. Nipple Trix, Jekyll and Hyde, tango mike and some of the other intro JO's could be killer songs just by themselves. I feel like they could open the shit out of them and play them for ten plus minutes and I am sure no one would mind

HelenKellerwilliams

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: DBK

2007-10-19 Great American (acoustic) > That's the way > Great American

great segment from an awesome show

also i really really think they should bring the stews they did at Umbowl 3 into rotation as songs. it's time.

SleepytimeGorilla

• Umphreak

i really really think they should bring the stews they did at Umbowl 3 into rotation as songs. it's time.

+1, and add Middle Eastern Metal to that while we're at it.

Brooklyn x3, Detroit x2

UMPhreakinBallin

• Umphreak

Great place to throw a shout out to umphreaknout's stewart volumes.  Sometimes the jams are all I want to listen to. 

Actually yesterday, I think I had the 2008-10-23 Crooked One stewart, not even the full song on repeat for maybe 12 hours straight.  I really didn't even want to change it, I kinda made myself do it.

FancyWide

• Umphreak

Most of the time, the jams are all I want to listen to. 

Winnertakesall

• Umphreak

with all the talk about the 9/9/11 show, i have to add that the ringo>spires from 9/6 is one of the coolest transitions ever

Carbohydrates

• Umphreak

two random thoughts: 
I really want to catch "Words" live, but feel this will not happen.

I also really want to see Preamble > Mantis > "Jimmy Stewart" > Mantis... and have the JS be huge.  I also feel this will not happen.

SleepytimeGorilla

• Umphreak

two random thoughts: 
I really want to catch "Words" live, but feel this will not happen.

I also really want to see Preamble > Mantis > "Jimmy Stewart" > Mantis... and have the JS be huge.  I also feel this will not happen.

1) Why not? It's not that rare of a tune. I've seen it twice out of 26 shows. Keep at it!

2) Yeah, probably not.

Brooklyn x3, Detroit x2

SleepytimeGorilla

• Umphreak

with all the talk about the 9/9/11 show, i have to add that the ringo>spires from 9/6 is one of the coolest transitions ever

Def gotta go back and re-listen. I remember loving that section when I was there, and it was my first Spires so it was extra exciting. I was at all 4 of those BK Bowl shows, easily the best week of my life, musically-speaking.

Brooklyn x3, Detroit x2

Robot Mode

• Umphreak
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Until We Meet Again

I would like to talk about the old samples they would put into songs. I personally loved them. Would we like to see this brought back? my answer is yes... also, feel free to bring up some that you liked. Here, I'll start:

One Set
The Floor, Got Your Milk (Right Here) > The Triple Wide > Nemo > The Triple Wide$ > Nemo, Made to Measure > Miss Tinkle's Overture, Anchor Drops, Cemetery Walk*
Encore
All In Time$$
Notes
Mantis CD release party; simulcast on 93.XRT
$ with Alex's House jam
* first time played, original
$$ with Glory tease and with Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I have a dream" clip

Talk amongst yourself

SleepytimeGorilla

• Umphreak

I would like to talk about the old samples they would put into songs. I personally loved them. Would we like to see this brought back? my answer is yes... also, feel free to bring up some that you liked. Here, I'll start:

One Set
The Floor, Got Your Milk (Right Here) > The Triple Wide > Nemo > The Triple Wide$ > Nemo, Made to Measure > Miss Tinkle's Overture, Anchor Drops, Cemetery Walk*
Encore
All In Time$$
Notes
$ with Alex's House jam

Talk amongst yourself

What's the date on this show? I'd like to have a listen. And yes, I love me some samples.

Brooklyn x3, Detroit x2

FancyWide

• Umphreak

Nemo > The Triple Wide(with alexs house jam) > Nemo,
love this portion

Scottydanger

• Umphreak

Speaking of samples, there was one night, I believe it was the original Brooklyn Bowl gig on 1/31/11, KB's last night on the road. They kept dropping the 'what the fuck is going on? are you fucking kidding me!?' sample. No idea what it's from, but they must have triggered it like 5-10 times that night. One good example is the beginning of Snucka.

SleepytimeGorilla

• Umphreak

I'd love for the next UM studio album to be a "metal-centric" album. They've done the over-the-top prog album, the toned-down melancholy album, the genre-hopping album. How about one just for their harder rockin', as-yet unreleased tracks? It'd look something like this:

1 - Jekyll & Hyde
2 - White Man's Moccassins
3 - Rocker Pt II
4 - Get in the Van
5 - Bridgeless
6 - Go to Hell (yeah I know it was a bonus DBS track but I want a "finished" version)
7 - Der Bluten Kat (I know this was on Local Band Does OKlahoma but it's never been recorded in studio right?)
8 - Wizard Burial Ground
9 - Pay the Snucka Pts I-III

Edit: Totally forgot WMM was on Local Band Does OK. Strike that one I guess.
Edit: OK, DBK was on Songs for Older Women. Ya know what? Let's include that on this fictional hypothetical new studio album. And fuck it, WMM too. They're better now than they were when both of those were originally recorded anyway. Let's throw in 2x2 while we're at it too!!!!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 01:32:50 PM by SleepytimeGorilla »

Brooklyn x3, Detroit x2

Robot Mode

• Umphreak
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Until We Meet Again

One Set
Encore
All In Time$$
Notes
$ with Alex's House jam

Talk amongst yourself

What's the date on this show? I'd like to have a listen. And yes, I love me some samples.

1/19/09

FancyWide

• Umphreak

The Revenge of the Nerds samples in 2006 are always fun. 12/31/06 Triple Wide.......

UncleDutchman

• I'll think of something better later
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Ringo HBB August 40s Blue Echo
  • Don't take me too seriously, it's the internet

Podcast #72 - Summer 2008 part 1

Posted: 10.29.2008

http://ec.libsyn.com/p/b/e/f/bef6e4aa7f08ac47/umpodcast72.mp3?d13a76d516d9dec20c3d276ce028ed5089ab1ce3dae902ea1d01cb8f3fd2c05b8d66&c_id=1855776

00:00 Resolution >
    13:32 The Bottom Half* (7.05.08 - Saturday In the Park, Sioux City, Iowa)
    23:12 Eat >
    34:26 Alex's House
(7.26.08 - Bank of America Pavilion, Boston, Massachusetts)
    43:17 All Things Ninja^ (6.07.08 - St. Andrews Hall, Detroit, Michigan)
    61:20 Bridgeless (7.10.08 - Willow Island, Madison, Wisconsin)

Total Broadcast Length 73:31

Notes:
* with Third Stone from the Sun (Jimi Hendrix) jam
^ with Angular Momentum tease and America the Beautiful

Nice little sample before they drop into a sexy improv section. Im all for more samples, they always seem to use them pretty creatively.

OBEY MY FUCKING SHEEP

dtbar1

• Favorite Track:: 2x2, Example 1, Dump City

2010/08/12 Myrtle Beach, SC has samples of the double complete rainbow guy throughout the show. You can hear an example of it at the end of Moby Dick on this podcast:

PODCAST #108 - SUMMER 2010 PART 3
Posted: 02.26.2011

http://traffic.libsyn.com/umphreysmcgee/umpodcast108.mp3

00:00 Nemo (6.02.10 - House of Blues, New Orleans, Louisiana)
11:37 Hurt Bird Bath (7.17.10 - White River State Park, Indianapolis, Indiana)
23:06 2nd Self (7.16.10 - Frederik Meijer Gardens, Grand Rapids, Michigan)
29:40 Mulche's Odyssey (7.30.10 - Cape Cod Melody Tent, Hyannis, Massachusetts)
43:22 Come Closer (6.05.10 - Wakarusa, Ozark, Arkansas)
48:08 Mantis >
54:42 Robot World >
57:30 "Jimmy Stewart"^ >
65:03 Mantis (8.5.10 - Theatre at Westbury, Westbury, New York)
70:24 Moby Dick* (8.12.10 - House of Blues, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina)
Total Broadcast Length 75:23

Notes:
^ with lyrics
* with Jake on drums

On another note, my first two shows both had samples (7/26/2008 Eat>Alex, and 4/9/2009 Ringo>T&R, both Boston). I wish I could remember what they sounded like live, but I was still an Umphrey's noob at the time. However, listening back on these shows, I love the weird samples and would definitely like to see them used more often.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 463   Go Up