TheBort

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 477   Go Down

Author Topic: Random, spontaneous and sometimes irrelevant thoughts and discussions about UM s  (Read 775274 times)

DBQ and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Terrence

• East Coast
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Japanese Cowboy
  • <3 THam <3

I cry sober. D'oh.

LandLandNever

• Umphreak

As a guitar player and Umphreak who has learned a shit ton from Jake and copied some of his techniques (b/c he kicks ass), sometimes I kinda wish he would lay back and play less.  There are some shows where I think he's kinda just wanking on his guitar.  Some of my favorite yams have slow builds where he's being more textural and spends his time searching for melody- and then when he locks in on it the lead lines he comes up with are gorgeous.  See the 2/11/11 BLBC for an example.  Of course, there's nothing like a N2F or Bridgeless shredfest, but those are designed that way.

The_k13

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: BURNT FUCKING ENDS

As a guitar player and Umphreak who has learned a shit ton from Jake and copied some of his techniques (b/c he kicks ass), sometimes I kinda wish he would lay back and play less.  There are some shows where I think he's kinda just wanking on his guitar.  Some of my favorite yams have slow builds where he's being more textural and spends his time searching for melody- and then when he locks in on it the lead lines he comes up with are gorgeous.  See the 2/11/11 BLBC for an example.  Of course, there's nothing like a N2F or Bridgeless shredfest, but those are designed that way.

i feel the same way. and when hes not playing a good show it can reallllllly be bad.
that bright lights is TITTIES .. highlight of that show in every sense

cjwagz

• Umphreak

when I was first getting into umph and seeing shows, this kinda turned me off a little bit

WOLFpacker16

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Reso, Example 1, Tribute, DBK

Probably similar to most on here, seeing Umphrey's for the first time was pretty much a life changing experience.  It was an alright show now that I know what they are about, but at the time it absolutely blew me away, I had never seen anything like it.  The venue was perfect, it was outdoors so they played as the sun went down, perfect temperature, was there with my best friend, basically a perfect night.  I always tell my friend that took me to the show that I am in debt to him for life for introducing me to um haha.  I also turned out to be waaay more into UM than he did, so every time he visits me from his college, which is probably like once every few months I always have some tasty yams lined up for us to listen to.  Anyway, the last time he came to visit we just sat on my couch, not really even speaking, just smoking joint after joint listening to Umphrey's until like 6 a.m.  It was seriously one of the most relaxing/enjoyable experiences I've ever had.  We would look over at each other with huge shit eating grins on our faces when they would be really gettin it and just understand the greatness of the band that we both love.  Hope to have many more nights like that in the future
If you look I'm sure you'd see, nothing's really as it seems...

opsopcopolis

• Umphreak

I cry at shows all the time.

I at least tear up at 90% of the shows I go to.  Live music just moves me that much.  Nothing like it
Fuck you, I'm honestly a very tolerant person.

BagelGlory

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Roulette, N2F, Wappy, Thin Air

i was just thinking today how much i dislike freefalling and i'm on fire (and to a lesser extent a love supreme) "jams," especially since they always replace a standard improv section. i've seen way too many of them.

i once sat 5 feet away from bayliss for 2 hours and we never spoke a word. that's fine, because andy was probably a lot more fun to talk to anyway.

i LOVE the original rocker.

damn, i want some biscuits and gravy.

I am ACHING for an I'm on fire at a show I attend.  I think its so beautiful.  So I have to say -1 on that one.  I love me a good jam, but I'm on Fire would be a very suitable replacement IMO.  It sure beats the hell out of throwing a dr. feelgood or day nurse in the spot of a jam.

Scoobysnacker

• Umphreak
  • Young Metro

Id much rather get a dr feelgood or a day nurse, at least they keep the energy up up. I've seen them do I'm on fire in place of a jam three times and I really hope to never see it again. I really liked it at first, but more please

dream_focused

• Umphreak

I often find little snippets of Um lyrics that have never stood out to me and then suddenly now mean alot more to me

puppet strings " Ive tried to fill these holes with others rolls Ive never learned to play, seems like I always falter"
Linear " way to tired to sit and reminisce about all the things Ive lost that I still miss
Bottom Half " Get used to the thought, you cant be what your not, live has already got plans like you

Umphreys has saved my life

YES!!! That line from the Bottom Half finally resonated with me while relistening to the one from 4/14/12. I definitely teared up a little in the car from finally realizing the beauty in that. And as you can see, I added it to my sig yesterday, then read this today, haha. Just so awesome. Glad that you said that. Love the last line from Nemo as well ("as many times as we've been there and back again, no I don't care if I'll be no one in the end") and the chorus from ITK. There are def more that I just can't think of at the moment, just wanted to share that with ya.

Oh and as far as crying at shows goes, definitely teared up for Glory at summercamp. I was realllly high and that Virtue jam was really spinnin me out, and then all of a sudden they drop into Glory, and Waful mimics the sunset with the lights and man, it was just too beautiful.
~ get used to the thought that you can't be what you're not, life has already got plans for you~

Kev347

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: October Rain, Educated Guess

Have you heard the 9/9/11 Bridgeless? If not, get on that shit immediately. It was one of the Raw Stewage choices at UM Bowl this year.

Wow, thanks for this! I have Raw Stewage but I was so focused on catching up with the really old stuff on there (which I'm not familiar with at all) that I missed a few newer jams that I hadn't heard. Definitely a phenomenal version of the song. It's so rare they jam in this style anymore, it's always a treat when they do.

SleepytimeGorilla

• Umphreak

Have you heard the 9/9/11 Bridgeless? If not, get on that shit immediately. It was one of the Raw Stewage choices at UM Bowl this year.

Wow, thanks for this! I have Raw Stewage but I was so focused on catching up with the really old stuff on there (which I'm not familiar with at all) that I missed a few newer jams that I hadn't heard. Definitely a phenomenal version of the song. It's so rare they jam in this style anymore, it's always a treat when they do.

Much obliged! 9/9/11 is definitely up there for me, debatably the best UM show I've ever attended. Very intense show throughout. Some really killer stews and good flow (esp. 2nd set).

Set One
 Cummins Lies > Prowler > Words, All In Time -> Push the Pig*, Nemo, Pay the Snucka (parts I & II) > Hot For Teacher, Wizard Burial Ground

Set Two
 Divisions > "Jimmy Stewart" > Divisions, Bridgeless**, Eminence Front, Hurt Bird Bath, America the Beautiful^, Soul Food I -> 1348

Encore 1
 Front Porch$

Encore 2
 All In Time$$

Notes
 * with So What? teases
 ** with Crazy Train teases
 ^ just Ryan
 $ with Waterfalls chorus and Uninvited (Alanis Morissette) teases
 $$ ending

Brooklyn x3, Detroit x2

Scottydanger

• Umphreak

So...am I the only one out there who wants to hear Resolution without the demon voice parts? Even just once? It's such a beautiful song, but that part just kills the emotion for me every time, and makes it extremely difficult to enjoy the song.

My girlfriend was at her first UM show, and she was in a bad mood so she was hating it (still hates them, whatever) and resolution started and she was like 'oh this song is nice' and then the damn voice came out and ruined the only chance I had of getting her to like them. They're not really her style anyway, so I'm not particularly concerned and I've given up trying to get her to like them.

So yeah, have they ever played it without the demon voice part? Any chance they ever would?

Scoobysnacker

• Umphreak
  • Young Metro

^^Ive never had an issue with it. I like the effect in general.

I've definitely heard shows where they don't use it. BB just screams it if I remember right...

the fussy asianmelt

• the ______ asianman
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Trash Can Mantis

That 9.9.11 show was one of the better and more fun shows I attended last year. That second set was very, very quality, and Jake hooked it up and gave me my first SF I.

UM has really been dishing out the improv into just about any and every song this side of Morning Song which is awesome and all. But I was just thinking about it today and I've really been missing improv in Syncopated Strangers. As far back as I can remember, the last jammed out version was 7.7.10 (great Tribute too). I love this song, period, but it is just awesome when they throw some improv in there, like the 11.16.06 version. And considering how "stale" and predictable some of these bookend songs are becoming to me (1348, Bridgeless, JaJunk, All In Time, Nothing Too Fancy), I think Syncopated Strangers would work out really well as not necessarily something to book end a set but to create a sandwich. With the fade out at the end of Synco pt. 1, they could go any direction they wanted to with the improv, and they could pretty much do any sort of improv before coming back to Synco pt. 2. Just a thought.

And since I'm talking about songs they typically split up, it was nice to see a standalone Fancy, AIT, and JaJunk at S'Camp. And I feel like these songs have been showing up more frequently as standalone renditions as opposed to 2011 or 2010. So what are some songs you would like to see UM split up or use as bookends, as a variation from the typical ones? Based on how awesome 2x2 -> Liquid > 2x2 was from 9.14.11, I'd like to see them give that a go but at the same time, I think it would almost lose it's emotional effect as a song.
Two parts fussy, one part asian, and a fuck ton of melt!

LandLandNever

• Umphreak

I cry at shows all the time.

I at least tear up at 90% of the shows I go to.  Live music just moves me that much.  Nothing like it

Thin Aaron

• Favorite Track:: Mantis, U Fir, DBK

So...am I the only one out there who wants to hear Resolution without the demon voice parts? Even just once? It's such a beautiful song, but that part just kills the emotion for me every time, and makes it extremely difficult to enjoy the song.

My girlfriend was at her first UM show, and she was in a bad mood so she was hating it (still hates them, whatever) and resolution started and she was like 'oh this song is nice' and then the damn voice came out and ruined the only chance I had of getting her to like them. They're not really her style anyway, so I'm not particularly concerned and I've given up trying to get her to like them.

So yeah, have they ever played it without the demon voice part? Any chance they ever would?

Exact same thing happened with my girlfriend, and I feel your pain!

I don't HATE the demon voice there, but it is definitely a major turn-off when I'm trying to turn others on to UM, because some people (unfortunately) can't get past it. 

Along this line, what annoys me more is the stupid child's voice in 40's, and the demon-scream in Padgett's can be pretty bad sometimes. 

opsopcopolis

• Umphreak

^ that hooked my brother in Noho last year.  The second the demon thing happened his eyes went wide and he turned to me with a shit eating grin on his face
Fuck you, I'm honestly a very tolerant person.

Kev347

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: October Rain, Educated Guess

That 9.9.11 show was one of the better and more fun shows I attended last year. That second set was very, very quality, and Jake hooked it up and gave me my first SF I.

UM has really been dishing out the improv into just about any and every song this side of Morning Song which is awesome and all. But I was just thinking about it today and I've really been missing improv in Syncopated Strangers. As far back as I can remember, the last jammed out version was 7.7.10 (great Tribute too). I love this song, period, but it is just awesome when they throw some improv in there, like the 11.16.06 version. And considering how "stale" and predictable some of these bookend songs are becoming to me (1348, Bridgeless, JaJunk, All In Time, Nothing Too Fancy), I think Syncopated Strangers would work out really well as not necessarily something to book end a set but to create a sandwich. With the fade out at the end of Synco pt. 1, they could go any direction they wanted to with the improv, and they could pretty much do any sort of improv before coming back to Synco pt. 2. Just a thought.

Might I point you to THIS show? :) And yes, that 2nd set is as ridiculous as it looks on paper.

9/28/10, Albuquerque, NM
Set 1: Search 4 > 2x2, Mantis Ghetts > Mantis, Band on the Run > Walletsworth > Mulche's Odyssey
Set 2: Syncopated Strangers > Front Porch > Resolution > Front Porch, The Triple Wide, Sociable Jimmy > Syncopated Strangers, Der Bluten Kat
Encore: Hajimemashite > Come Closer

The_k13

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: BURNT FUCKING ENDS

Might I point you to THIS show? :) And yes, that 2nd set is as ridiculous as it looks on paper.

9/28/10, Albuquerque, NM
Set 1: Search 4 > 2x2, Mantis Ghetts > Mantis, Band on the Run > Walletsworth > Mulche's Odyssey
Set 2: Syncopated Strangers > Front Porch > Resolution > Front Porch, The Triple Wide, Sociable Jimmy > Syncopated Strangers, Der Bluten Kat

damn this looks like a heater!

SleepytimeGorilla

• Umphreak

^ that hooked my brother in Noho last year.  The second the demon thing happened his eyes went wide and he turned to me with a shit eating grin on his face

Exactly. I saw the same thing happen to a friend of mine when I brought him to his first UM show last year. I happen to love that little part (especially when Waful brings the evil red lights along with it). I am also a reformed metal head, so ya know...

Brooklyn x3, Detroit x2

alexankh

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Conduit>Bottom Half>Conduit
  • Professional Umgineer

UM merch should start selling UM Tervis Cups

the fussy asianmelt

• the ______ asianman
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Trash Can Mantis

9/28/10, Albuquerque, NM

Haven't listened to it in quite some time so thanks! Looks like I got my show to listen to at work for now.
Two parts fussy, one part asian, and a fuck ton of melt!

cjwagz

• Umphreak

Favorite BB band names?

Andy Farag and the Fabric Softners
and
Joel Cummins and the Questionable Methods are my favs

alexankh

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Conduit>Bottom Half>Conduit
  • Professional Umgineer

Dr. Yohn and the Global Funk Ordinance (or Coordinates, I cant quite make it out, but both work i suppose)

macksb7

• Favorite Track:: Phil's, Ringo, Tribute

Dr. Yohn and the Global Funk Ordinance (or Coordinates, I cant quite make it out, but both work i suppose)
Haha at the Wilmington show last September it was Dr. Yohn and the Infinitely Poly-rhythmic Funk Ordinance, says it right after Dump City
As many times as we've been there and back again now I don't care if I'll be no one in the end.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 477   Go Up