TheBort

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 477   Go Down

Author Topic: Random, spontaneous and sometimes irrelevant thoughts and discussions about UM s  (Read 775299 times)

umphate and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

UncleDutchman

• I'll think of something better later
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Ringo HBB August 40s Blue Echo
  • Don't take me too seriously, it's the internet

A place for all of our random thoughts and opinions about all the songs in the UM catalog.

Want to talk albums? Go for it. Live versions? Absolutely. Just your favorite part of a song? Why not. Segues? Yes > Please.

Don't be afraid to post! That means you newbs and lurkers. This is a UM board, why not have a thread dedicated to discussion about the songs that drew us here?

And with such a ter heavy schedule and live recordings a plenty, its not like there is a shortage of live versions to talk about. 

Basically this is a thread for when you have some spontaneous opinion or thought while you're listening to and/or discussing UM and don't want to go through the trouble of finding the appropriate setlist or discussion thread.

OBEY MY FUCKING SHEEP

UncleDutchman

• I'll think of something better later
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Ringo HBB August 40s Blue Echo
  • Don't take me too seriously, it's the internet

Ill start with a few. Ringo is probably my favorite live song, the genre hopping in that song is fantastic and I think its probably the most fun song in their catalog. The room turns into an absolute shit show whenever that song gets played, and I can't help but grin the entire time. Not to mention it still churns out huge improv nearly every single time its played. The second ringo jam at scamp was A+ stuff. Add that to the one at the canopy, and a few others from this year and there have already been a few top notch versions played.

Phils Farm falls into a similar catagory, we were gettin the F down next to the sbd during phils, and it has a similar effect every single time.

2x2 is epic

The sUMmer camp setlists made my heart melt. The dog selection was top notch.

OBEY MY FUCKING SHEEP

iamkickinit

• Umphreak

C'mon Jackson, you gotta catch those fly balls! COME ON!!!

hahahaha.... had to do it again.

I'll agree, Ringo is the bomb. I love that song, just so much fun. It's a major jam vehicle. I also really like Reso. It's kind of in the same vein as Ringo. Older tune with usually two sections that they'll do jams in. Both of those tunes are two of my favorite jam-vehicles for sure.

RepresentativeofdaMidwest

• Favorite Track:: I guess I sorta like them all

After I went to my first UM show at Lincoln Park Zoo, I fell in love with Umphrey's and started downloading a bunch of there music from Livewire when it still existed. I loved the August I found there, it sounded similar to this (http://archive.org/details/um1998-04-15.sbd.flacf) Joels keys werent as predominate as they were here but the composition was similar. You could hear someone in the beginning talking to his buddy when the bassline starts to play faster faster its too slow. Anyway I thought August was always this way until I heard it live for the first time. Still love the song but I love to hear it played like it was when they only had four members. I would also love to hear the version on Greatest Hits III.
Chicago x3

Kev347

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: October Rain, Educated Guess

Since we started off with Ringo, I'll chime in there: 11-5-11 has to be my favorite version from the past few years of shows. I love when it goes dark like that. My all time favorite version is from 10-16-07 where it's a Ringo > Fuzz > Ringo sandwich. SO good.

Another song that can go in all sorts of different directions is Bridgeless. It almost disappoints me when they make it a straightforward dance party or funkfest though, because although those are good, that song can really go places if they want it to. The version on podcast #31 is likely my favorite.

scweeber

• Umphreak

i was just thinking today how much i dislike freefalling and i'm on fire (and to a lesser extent a love supreme) "jams," especially since they always replace a standard improv section. i've seen way too many of them.

i once sat 5 feet away from bayliss for 2 hours and we never spoke a word. that's fine, because andy was probably a lot more fun to talk to anyway.

i LOVE the original rocker.

damn, i want some biscuits and gravy.

DiabetesCOLE

• Umphreak

I often find little snippets of Um lyrics that have never stood out to me and then suddenly now mean alot more to me

puppet strings " Ive tried to fill these holes with others rolls Ive never learned to play, seems like I always falter"
Linear " way to tired to sit and reminisce about all the things Ive lost that I still miss
Bottom Half " Get used to the thought, you cant be what your not, live has already got plans like you

Umphreys has saved my life

got your whiskey

• Favorite Track:: push the pig

i was just thinking today how much i dislike freefalling and i'm on fire (and to a lesser extent a love supreme) "jams," especially since they always replace a standard improv section. i've seen way too many of them.

something that was bugging me for a while was going back into the second part of plunger they were teasing roundabout way to much. but i think that if they played free falling or i'm on fire with lyrics that would be cool.

JWelsh

• UM Laison & Webmaster, Architect, Urban Designer, Music Fan
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: The Other Side of Things
  • I'm in charge of lemonade.
    • Umphrey's McGee

Have they played those jams enough to have seen "way too many"? I could see A Love Supreme every show if they wanted to play it.

The_k13

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: BURNT FUCKING ENDS

I often find little snippets of Um lyrics that have never stood out to me and then suddenly now mean alot more to me

puppet strings " Ive tried to fill these holes with others rolls Ive never learned to play, seems like I always falter"
Linear " way to tired to sit and reminisce about all the things Ive lost that I still miss
Bottom Half " Get used to the thought, you cant be what your not, live has already got plans like you

Umphreys has saved my life

this so too true... linear has always been such a meaning full song to me. i was going through a rough patch last year and i happened to catch UM at stubbs on 4/20 and the Encore was linear > all in time (end) ..it made me think about a lot of things that weekend and it made my life turn right around. plus it was SOOOO sick to end the night off like that. fk'n a ...

i also have to say i enjoy them most with a limited crowd in some poh dunk down where a dude in a DEATH shirt says hes down to see whatever they decide to play .. and BAM , hes a fan for live after ( grand junction 2009 ... not the best show ever. but it was probably the last not sold out show i have seen by them.) or when your dead tired from a 5day ter and they deciede to play EVER song you wanted to hear that whole 5days in one show, on the last night .. hundreds of miles aways from home. and being right on that rail (or on the edge of the stage cause they dont have a barrier between them) as they do work. between song you say 'get drunk bayless', he looks over..gives you a wink and then proceeds to give you the straight nastyness you've wanted to hear. it doesnt get better then that
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 10:15:22 PM by The_k13 »

cjwagz

• Umphreak

talked about this with some friends at scamp, but am I the only one who would rather see a show just open with a song instead of a JO> ?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 11:15:51 PM by cjwagz »

The_k13

• Umphreak

Have they played those jams enough to have seen "way too many"? I could see A Love Supreme every show if they wanted to play it.

the one i saw (denver 2010) wasn't any music, really, it was just the repeated line "a love supreme." compared to, say, a jam, that's pretty boring.

playing any bruce springstein song even once, especially a slow one, is way too much.

it was the 4th of july show.. farm > love supreme > glory > farm

scweeber

• Umphreak

jwelsh, i should have been more clear, but i'm using those songs as examples of instances i have seen in which they replaced a jam sequence with a song "jam." those are just the ones that come to mind from shows that i have seen in the last 3 years, or so.

scweeber

• Umphreak

the one i saw (denver 2010) wasn't any music, really, it was just the repeated line "a love supreme." compared to, say, a jam, that's pretty boring.

playing any bruce springstein song even once, especially a slow one, is way too much.

i was there. that's one of those rare shows that was amazing to attend but that doesn't hold up on disc at all, IMO. good god it was hot as balls that night.

The_k13

• Umphreak

i was there. that's one of those rare shows that was amazing to attend but that doesn't hold up on disc at all, IMO. good god it was hot as balls that night.

oh god it was . i srsly almost passed out 2nd set. and i was even up top for it. plus i dont think i had ever been disrepected so much at a UM show as this one.. ppl jabbin for a closer spot in the pit. almost didnt get let in cause the security gaurd said he saw me 'jump the gate' . its still the best linear iv ever heard.. shred city on that guy

scweeber

• Umphreak

i took an um hater buddy to that show (his first), and all of a sudden during FF i thought "i wonder if jeff is enjoying himself." at that point i turned around to see him fist pumping with a gigantic shit easting grin on his face. he's done the same thing at every other show i have hauled him to, despite the fact that he "hates" umphreys.  :laugh:

opsopcopolis

• Umphreak

I love the lyrics to Morning Song.  Great writing in that one.  "I'm not in denial, I can't be" is an awesome line
Fuck you, I'm honestly a very tolerant person.

scweeber

• Umphreak

i have never, ever listened to an entire pre-myers UM show. this band started for me on 4/23/03, and i honestly can barely imagine them w/o kris.

Scoobysnacker

• Umphreak
  • Young Metro

i have never, ever listened to an entire pre-myers UM show. this band started for me on 4/23/03, and i honestly can barely imagine them w/o kris.

Do it. It's crazy to hear how different they were pre Myers and Jake. I've definitely spend a decent amount of time listening to some old schools shows. I'd recommend listening, if only for the contrast

scweeber

• Umphreak

Do it. It's crazy to hear how different they were pre Myers and Jake. I've definitely spend a decent amount of time listening to some old schools shows. I'd recommend listening, if only for the contrast

maybe some day. given the current state of my life i listen to way less umphrey's than i should right now, in general.

Andys first bong

• It's a marathon, not a sprint
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Sociable jimmy, #5, bridgeles
  • Fuck you Dubstep I'm comin for your $$$$
    • norml

For the most part I think Umphreys lyrics lack substance. With the exception of a few, They dont really tell a story, paint a picture, or convey a message. Theyre just like a collection of one liners to a cool melody. But I do love some of those one-liners. In particular , and I'm not even positive these are the right words but from the linear "regardless of the meaning words will always remain" kind of ironic. I've always wanted to work that quote into a tattoo  somehow
"I don't want to be one of those guys who only listens to one type of music...that's why I only listen to Umphrey's Mcgee"

The_k13

• Umphreak

i took an um hater buddy to that show (his first), and all of a sudden during FF i thought "i wonder if jeff is enjoying himself." at that point i turned around to see him fist pumping with a gigantic shit easting grin on his face. he's done the same thing at every other show i have hauled him to, despite the fact that he "hates" umphreys.  :laugh:

i do admit that FF is monster.. i truly love that set. i thought i knew them somewhat and then BAM, dropped into kimble i was like 'wtf is this?!?!' conduit, words, glory,bright lights were all a first for me that show ..blew me out of the water. loved that shit.

and it takes that cake in regards to 7/4 shows for me.. boulder was only good last year cause i was with a group of like 20 peeps .. and they had just murked red rocks the night before.

SleepytimeGorilla

• Umphreak

Another song that can go in all sorts of different directions is Bridgeless. It almost disappoints me when they make it a straightforward dance party or funkfest though, because although those are good, that song can really go places if they want it to. The version on podcast #31 is likely my favorite.

Have you heard the 9/9/11 Bridgeless? If not, get on that shit immediately. It was one of the Raw Stewage choices at UM Bowl this year.

Brooklyn x3, Detroit x2

Terrence

• East Coast
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Japanese Cowboy
  • <3 THam <3

JaJunk openers and Phil's openers make me wanna punt kittens. In a good way.

I cry at shows all the time.

FancyWide

• Umphreak

I cry at shows all the time.
I teared up during Fancy from the intensity of the moment. Teared up a bit the second Bayliss busted out "If you want me tooooooo" Cut the Cable line in the GA.

Other instances: Release at Red Rocks last year. Im on Fire late night in the Barn scamp 2010.

Uhhhh looking back, the common demoninator in all of these situations comes after K and before M.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 477   Go Up