TheBort

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: NYE 2019  (Read 7655 times)

Jimmy

• Fun Hogger
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Divisions > Chads >Gulf Stream
Re: NYE 2019
« Reply #200 on: July 10, 2019, 12:47:48 PM »

Knowing absolutely nothing about the Fillmore, it actually looks kind of shitty compared to what I'd expect a NYE run venue to look like.

It's very far from perfect and I still think Umphrey's could do better in that town especially for a NYE run. They could easily fill the Bellco or 1st Bank with the groundwork they've laid in Denver over the years. Bellco would be preferred

Those venues look amazing and both have capacities smaller than red rocks and not orders of magnitude higher than the Fillmore.

Red Rocks is such a draw for traveling fans that I'm not convinced UM would be able to fill 1st Bank/Bellco for 3+ nights. If they continue to do CO NYE runs I feel like the next step up from the Fillmore has to be the Mission. TBD on how the venue actually is but I've seen pics of it near completion and it definitely looks badass. I have super high hopes, and will be able to confirm next month. Still very curious who gets booked for their first NYE.

cshore

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: BK Plungie till I fricken die
« Reply #201 on: July 10, 2019, 12:48:39 PM »

1st Bank looks huge compared to Fillmore. I'm sure UM's team knows well what they can and can't sell.
Hey brah listen to my band's live album: https://misterf.bandcamp.com/album/flive-2

Jimmy

• Fun Hogger
  • Umphreak
« Reply #202 on: July 10, 2019, 12:50:25 PM »

1st Bank looks huge compared to Fillmore. I'm sure UM's team knows well what they can and can't sell.

It's almost double the size.

Jcubson

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Divisions
  • No way, get real.
« Reply #203 on: July 10, 2019, 12:57:12 PM »

Does Red Rocks on it's own really bring in that many more fans? Or is it summer shows vs. winter? It just seems crazy to me that they can sell 3 nights at Red Rocks no problem but for NYE they believe a venue ~1/3 of the size is sufficient.

RedBirdBath

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: None
« Reply #204 on: July 10, 2019, 01:02:58 PM »

Does Red Rocks on it's own really bring in that many more fans? Or is it summer shows vs. winter? It just seems crazy to me that they can sell 3 nights at Red Rocks no problem but for NYE they believe a venue ~1/3 of the size is sufficient.

I honestly think that the history and beauty of Red Rocks really does bring in that many people. Anecdotally (or maybe objectively), everyone that knows music knows RRX. It does help that the runs are in the summer, but the Red Rocks draw is enormous for people all over the country, and a winter show in an indoor venue downtown just doesn't have that same "magic" (in my opinion).

Personally (as a very-much-out-of-towner), I've hit Red Rocks a couple of times, but have never really had that big of a desire to do a Denver NYE run. I would imagine there are a good number of others that share the sentiment.

Jimmy

• Fun Hogger
  • Umphreak
« Reply #205 on: July 10, 2019, 01:10:54 PM »

I honestly think that the history and beauty of Red Rocks really does bring in that many people. Anecdotally (or maybe objectively), everyone that knows music knows RRX. It does help that the runs are in the summer, but the Red Rocks draw is enormous for people all over the country, and a winter show in an indoor venue downtown just doesn't have that same "magic" (in my opinion).

Personally (as a very-much-out-of-towner), I've hit Red Rocks a couple of times, but have never really had that big of a desire to do a Denver NYE run. I would imagine there are a good number of others that share the sentiment.

This is my thought. If it is RR vs. Denver NYE I think your average fan chooses RR the majority of the time. Plus you get all the locals who go to RR shows just for the hell of it. For some people it doesn't matter who is playing, RR is a good time regardless.

Jcubson

• Umphreak
  • No way, get real.
« Reply #206 on: July 10, 2019, 01:13:03 PM »

This is my thought. If it is RR vs. Denver NYE I think your average fan chooses RR the majority of the time. Plus you get all the locals who go to RR shows just for the hell of it. For some people it doesn't matter who is playing, RR is a good time regardless.
I'd believe it. I have friends that even just go up there to party in the lot sometimes. Also doesn't red rocks have a season ticket package? I'm pretty sure that's also a thing.

Albert Ross

• Umphreak
« Reply #207 on: July 10, 2019, 01:16:36 PM »

Going to RR for the venue is definitely a thing. Skipping the Fillmore because of the venue is also a thing

Uncle Joey

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Until We Meet Again
« Reply #208 on: July 10, 2019, 01:56:00 PM »

I put more importance on the venue than probably any other factor these days

Jimmy

• Fun Hogger
  • Umphreak
« Reply #209 on: July 10, 2019, 02:24:03 PM »

Going to RR for the venue is definitely a thing. Skipping the Fillmore because of the venue is also a thing

Lol truth

Jcubson

• Umphreak
  • No way, get real.
« Reply #210 on: July 10, 2019, 02:25:30 PM »

it's crazy that there's literally a 6,000 person swing based on venue alone, but it totally makes sense.

terminallyphil

• Oregonizer
  • Umphreak
  • mostly chill, down for a thrill, not tryin to kill
« Reply #211 on: July 10, 2019, 02:42:43 PM »

I think they could have attempted a Fillmore > Fillmore > 1stBank sort of run if they billed NYE as Waful's last show and give him a huge budget
"Fuck you, lol" - JWelsh

FussyManDutch

• Mr.
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Nachos For Two
  • Make it fucking count, people
« Reply #212 on: July 10, 2019, 03:25:35 PM »

I'm interested to see how the Mission ends up. It's the same exact size as the Fillmore but if it's better, I would consider going back to Denver for NYE
Simple fact it still remains

UMFree

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Pick's Stew
  • is it time to play sheep yet?
« Reply #213 on: July 10, 2019, 03:52:28 PM »

I think they could have attempted a Fillmore > Fillmore > 1stBank sort of run if they billed NYE as Waful's last show and give him a huge budget

this seems pretty laughable to me. Could be totally off, but it seems like to me that the majority of the fanbase/casual fans would have really no idea who Waful is and why his last show is a big deal (its not)
Chicago, Chattanooga>Louisville>Indy>Kettering

StoneJackBaller

• Spreadneck
  • Umphreak
  • Someday Life Will Be Sweet Like A Rhapsody
« Reply #214 on: July 10, 2019, 04:02:53 PM »

Really? All I hear from noobs is how awesome the light show is. I think some people go to UM just for the lights
:Shudders:
I'd take Jerry Garcia on a good night over sex or food.

humpfreez

• Umphreak
« Reply #215 on: July 10, 2019, 05:24:22 PM »

pretty bummed they didn't/couldn't secure Mission. must have been booked and/or too expensive

terminallyphil

• Oregonizer
  • Umphreak
« Reply #216 on: July 10, 2019, 06:59:39 PM »

this seems pretty laughable to me. Could be totally off, but it seems like to me that the majority of the fanbase/casual fans would have really no idea who Waful is and why his last show is a big deal (its not)

I bet the majority of the fanbase knows who Waful is, but you have a good point about the casual fan. It would be a marketing challenge for our lord and savior KB, but he could pull it off.

Saying Waful's last show isn't a big deal is a head scratcher to me. UM will be fine, yes, but he has been an integral part of the UM live experience for 11 years. UM would not be where they are without him. His departure is a big deal to me, if for no other reason than to say thanks.
"Fuck you, lol" - JWelsh

UMFree

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Pick's Stew
  • is it time to play sheep yet?
« Reply #217 on: July 10, 2019, 07:28:03 PM »

I bet the majority of the fanbase knows who Waful is, but you have a good point about the casual fan. It would be a marketing challenge for our lord and savior KB, but he could pull it off.

Saying Waful's last show isn't a big deal is a head scratcher to me. UM will be fine, yes, but he has been an integral part of the UM live experience for 11 years. UM would not be where they are without him. His departure is a big deal to me, if for no other reason than to say thanks.

Yeah that was a spicy comment and I totally get the sentiment. I was even pretty concerned at first, but the more ive thought about it, the more ive realized how little his style/setup has changed over the years. Im ready for something fresh even if it means the time itll take for him/her to get acclimated to the songs.
Chicago, Chattanooga>Louisville>Indy>Kettering

terminallyphil

• Oregonizer
  • Umphreak
« Reply #218 on: July 10, 2019, 08:00:54 PM »

^ 100% agree regarding his setup and style. A change will be refreshing
"Fuck you, lol" - JWelsh

Southern Dan

• Grown Ass Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Umphreak
« Reply #219 on: July 10, 2019, 08:35:38 PM »

Iím ready for a fresh set of eyes behind the lighting board!

Wrapped around Chicago

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Bridgeless
« Reply #220 on: July 10, 2019, 10:13:37 PM »

Detroit Fillmore is one of the  best venues they still play.

I was amazed with it this last run, having never been. So empty though.

I do my best to go to every Detroit Fillmore show in part because of how much I love the venue. I'd put it up there next to the Riverside.

We need a fall run there in the worst way. February in Detroit is preposterous

Uncle Joey

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Until We Meet Again
« Reply #221 on: July 11, 2019, 07:45:31 AM »

the type of custies that custy up for gimmicky/vip shit are the same type of people that place way too much emphasis on waful and the lights. it is laughable but i actually think it could work

swb0nd

« Reply #222 on: July 11, 2019, 10:31:56 AM »

i like how the lights augment my experience of an um show. (post-budney) um & phish are the only bands where i've felt that the lights had an impact on my overall perception of the experience.

i am excited for a new direction the lights will take with a new LD, but that said, i'll probably do NYE again this year specifically because of waful's "last" go-round.

i did umvip once and had a blast and really loved the bonuses (nye 2013, honeymoon) but probably won't "custy up" for vip this year since it ain't my honeymoon.

toomanypomas

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Front Porch, Uncommon
  • Preachin' the Rock n Roll Gospel
« Reply #223 on: July 13, 2019, 04:53:57 PM »

I put more importance on the venue than probably any other factor these days

This 100%. A venue will make or break a decision for me now a days. The Filmore in Denver is a total no-go
you expect us losers to have any actual insight?

generalptf

« Reply #224 on: July 13, 2019, 06:18:12 PM »

Has anyone ever bought from TicketsToday over the phone, at the beginning of an onsale? I know my work's firewall is going to prevent my transaction from going through when I try to buy the 4-night pass online on Tuesday.

I figure there's a 5% chance that this would work, given that their customer service is generally terrible (they once referred to me as "Mr. McGee" for an entire phone call). But maybe, just maybe I could have them on the phone when the onsale hits and somehow get a 4-day like that?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up