TheBort

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: SOTY 2019  (Read 1505 times)

terminallyphil

• Oregonizer
  • Umphreak
  • mostly chill, down for a thrill, not tryin to kill
Re: SOTY 2019
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2019, 12:16:15 PM »

1/25 should 100% be on the shortlist.

Word. Thoughts on 3.9? Obvious afterlow attendance bias here but I see no glaring flaws

(Edit: dont honorable mention 3.10 unless 3.9 gets added too. Much weaker 1st and less dynamic improv overall. Weaker encore)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 12:18:19 PM by myfarm »
"What's your melt count?"

cshore

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Anything w/ Sad Bayliss
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2019, 12:18:01 PM »

Was going to say that would probably round out my top 5, with 3/10 replacing 2/16. I love the Mantis from 2/16 and I think it's a great show overall but my least favorite of that run and not one of the top of the year.

3/2 and 3/1 both somewhere in the mix too. Between 3/1, 3/2, 3/9 and 3/10 I'm not sure which show I like best.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 12:19:48 PM by cshore »
Nah man you’re reviews are what’s old, literally anything you say is the exact opposite of how the majority of the crowd feels. Get a lilfe you salty depressed loser.

All Thoughts Divided

• Umphreak
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2019, 12:18:35 PM »

I liked New Haven a lot but would still take 2/15 over it in a heartbeat, and I also come back to 2/14 way more than New Haven. Robot World is great but it's about the only thing I ever come back to. Slacker and Virtue are the next best jams and neither of them are jams that have me wanting to listen back much.

I think there is more to New Haven than you are giving credit to:  DBK, Higgins and Draconian are all good as well. Perhaps only on JOTY contender (RW) but like 7-8 quality pieces of improv. I think New Haven has some distance between it and the other contenders.

cshore

• Umphreak
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2019, 12:21:04 PM »

I liked New Haven a lot but would still take 2/15 over it in a heartbeat, and I also come back to 2/14 way more than New Haven. Robot World is great but it's about the only thing I ever come back to. Slacker and Virtue are the next best jams and neither of them are jams that have me wanting to listen back much.

I think there is more to New Haven than you are giving credit to:  DBK, Higgins and Draconian are all good as well. Perhaps only on JOTY contender (RW) but like 7-8 quality pieces of improv. I think New Haven has some distance between it and the other contenders.

DBK is straight up bad to me. Neither jam goes anywhere or has any energy to it IMO. Higgins and Draconian were both good but not noteworthy. Draconian would've been if it was a little longer.
Nah man you’re reviews are what’s old, literally anything you say is the exact opposite of how the majority of the crowd feels. Get a lilfe you salty depressed loser.

All Thoughts Divided

• Umphreak
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2019, 12:21:40 PM »

1/25 should 100% be on the shortlist.

Word. Thoughts on 3.9? Obvious afterlow attendance bias here but I see no glaring flaws

(Edit: dont honorable mention 3.10 unless 3.9 gets added too. Much weaker 1st and less dynamic improv overall. Weaker encore)

I will round out the top five and will probably post 10 by year end. Need to relisten to 3/9 as I only skipped to the improv highlights. Love 3/10 set two though and definitely think it is one of the better shows/sets of the year so far.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 12:24:19 PM by All Thoughts Divided »

terminallyphil

• Oregonizer
  • Umphreak
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2019, 12:22:36 PM »

3.9>3.10 be a country mile my bros. Don't get star struck by the length of the fir and a 5 song set containing Front Pprch. Higgins and Puppet are good too but Triangle Tear Loose Ends Upward in one set disqualify it from soty consideration to me

All Thoughts Divided

• Umphreak
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2019, 12:23:32 PM »

3.9>3.10 be a country mile my bros. Don't get star struck by the length of the fir and a 5 song set containing Front Pprch. Higgins and Puppet are good too but Triangle Tear Loose Ends Upward in one set disqualify it from soty consideration to me

Bayliss’d

cshore

• Umphreak
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2019, 12:46:23 PM »

3/9 has Glory, TLS'd rocker 2, Booth, Make It Right, and Seasons, which are all pet peeve songs for me. So personally it could go tit for tat in that regard with 3/10.

Oh also, standardtown Fancy with no reprise is brutal for my tastes.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 12:53:23 PM by cshore »

StoneJackBaller

• Umphreak
  • Someday Life Will Be Sweet Like A Rhapsody
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2019, 12:58:17 PM »

1/31
3/9
2/16

Is probably my top 3

Southern Dan

• Grown Ass Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Umphreak
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2019, 12:58:30 PM »

I love Make it Right and Seasons.

StoneJackBaller

• Umphreak
  • Someday Life Will Be Sweet Like A Rhapsody
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2019, 01:00:55 PM »

+1...and Booth Love, especially w/ Ghost Note. That was great

terminallyphil

• Oregonizer
  • Umphreak
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2019, 01:02:24 PM »

Fair criticisms, cshore. Glory rocker2 works there for me before the meat of the set. Make it Right is a good song for me and the Booth with the guests is pretty awesome. 3 10 has a set 2 puppet (a good one).

Honestly, they probably both deserve listening to. If one is one the list, the other should be?

No reprise hurt bad

cshore

• Umphreak
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2019, 01:04:02 PM »

I like Seasons but it's a classic case of UM running a new song into the ground for me. The combo of rough vocals, the length of the song while being standard, and Jake's utter inability to play his solo in it make it a hard one for me to enjoy live, and they just keep playing it and playing it. I know this is to be expected.

Make it Right I just straight up don't like. The opening riff is cool but the rest of the song is not for me. Especially the vocal sections which I find too cheesy.

YMMV brahs.

For the record, I liked the Booth sections with the sit in but the song as a whole still brings down just about any set for me.

They're both good shows, I don't want to make it sound like I dislike 3/9 because I think it's a good one.

Bron Yr Aur

• Umphreak
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2019, 01:08:13 PM »

3.8, 3.9 and 3.10 are more "standard great" to me than top shelf UM. 

Southern Dan

• Grown Ass Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Umphreak
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2019, 01:32:30 PM »

They are playing the shit out of Seasons probably to get it down perfectly since there is a lot going on there...surprised Jake hasn’t been able to pull it together yet though.

terminallyphil

• Oregonizer
  • Umphreak
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2019, 02:02:18 PM »

with all do respect, you like the jake chug side of UM so most of your soty and joty picks are meh to me. you are an extremely versed UM fan but you only like one half of what makes this band great  :beers:

All Thoughts Divided

• Umphreak
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2019, 02:08:24 PM »

with all do respect, you like the jake chug side of UM so most of your soty and joty picks are meh to me. you are an extremely versed UM fan but you only like one half of what makes this band great  :beers:

Seems a little harsh. I put Bron Yr Aur in league with guys like Kev347 and DanRad in terms of knowledgable fans that usually (but not always) align with the way I view UM and critique shows.  Pretty sure he likes and appreciates more than one half of what makes the band great...

terminallyphil

• Oregonizer
  • Umphreak
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2019, 02:24:38 PM »

Not harsh man. No disrespect intended towards bron at all. He is a top notch borter and a discerning fan. So much so that bort group think will dictate that 3.8 3.9 and 3.10 is just standard great because bron said so and no one will ever listen to it.

I hate to drop a show count but that was 89 since 2002. I know my UM too and 3.9 is better than standard great UM.

/rant (I'm just amazed people are responding to my opinions after 12 years of borting  :popcorn: love you guys)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 02:26:11 PM by myfarm »

cshore

• Umphreak
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2019, 02:27:56 PM »

I mean he said all “do” respect; what more could you ask for?

terminallyphil

• Oregonizer
  • Umphreak
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2019, 02:30:11 PM »

Due.  you're right. I must be a complete moron with no taste in music

cshore

• Umphreak
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2019, 02:33:50 PM »

Relax, I was just making a joke.

terminallyphil

• Oregonizer
  • Umphreak
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2019, 02:36:06 PM »

Relax, I was just making a joke.

But but but but.... eh, I got nothing

I've been out of work for almost a year with an acl tear/ knee surgery recovery. Cabin fever be real. Hope yall take my post with a grain of salt

Bron Yr Aur

• Umphreak
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2019, 06:47:58 PM »

Opinions are like assholes....

Standard great used to mean really good, right? 

The difference between the top 10% of shows and the "standard great" show is pretty minute.

As far as Seattle goes, I really enjoyed the Junk...seems like folks think this should be on the JOTY list.  The Intentions jam starts out so well with the ominous groove but I wish they didn't take it down the country rock lane in the second half of the jam.

Southern Dan

• Grown Ass Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Umphreak
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2019, 07:31:59 PM »

Country/honky tonk jams do pretty much nothing for me.

All Thoughts Divided

• Umphreak
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2019, 07:45:26 PM »

Country/honky tonk jams do pretty much nothing for me.

Agree with this. While we’re add it repetitive cover jams (Norwegian Wood, Xxplosive, La Grange etc) are in the same camp.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up