TheBort

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SOTY 2018  (Read 646 times)

cshore

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Anything w/ Sad Bayliss
SOTY 2018
« on: February 10, 2019, 01:33:27 PM »

Edit: no list, go fuck yourself br0t, vote for three shows.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 07:11:11 PM by cshore »
Nah man you’re reviews are what’s old, literally anything you say is the exact opposite of how the majority of the crowd feels. Get a lilfe you salty depressed loser.

cshore

• Umphreak
Re: SOTY 2018
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 02:03:39 PM »

My votes:

3/7 - Simply an awesome first set, love the ITK and Bridgeless, and especially like how the show starts out with a jam into Reso. Second set does drag a little with the biggest jam being a tease fest in Phil's, but still a really great show.
5/17 - Attendance bias but this is one of my favorite shows attended. Fun first set with jams in every song but Thin Air. Quality Visions > Ringo > OG Cables > Ringo segment. 2nd set is very satisfying jam wise. All three jammed out songs in this set have 10+ minutes of improv in them. First time in years I was happy with a HBB, a super awesome Hey 19 and a huge emotional peak out of a funky jam in AIT.
8/18 - I actually prefer the 8/31 Attachments to this one, but it's still awesome. What really puts this show over the top to me is how that Attachments is preceded by a great and highly overlooked 20 minute Billy. That jam is super good. In the first set, the Draconian to start out the show is very good, the Bad Friday goes to some great places with Bayliss on lead, and the proggy weird structured jam out of Where Is My Mind is actually super cool.

I want to include 10/18 because it is definitely a very special show but ultimately I think other than the very awesome Liquid and the fact that this show has the first real WBG jam, the improv falls short for me. 2/1 is also very close but other than the amazing Synco, I don't like the second set at all. Honorable mention to the RR run which is really solid top to bottom but I don't think any single night stands out as being the best of the best.
Nah man you’re reviews are what’s old, literally anything you say is the exact opposite of how the majority of the crowd feels. Get a lilfe you salty depressed loser.

StoneJackBaller

• Spreadneck
  • Umphreak
  • Someday Life Will Be Sweet Like A Rhapsody
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 03:31:00 PM »

In that order
I'd take Jerry Garcia on a good night over sex or food.

umphate

• Umphreak
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 05:02:41 PM »

10/19 is better than a lot of shows on that list

StoneJackBaller

• Spreadneck
  • Umphreak
  • Someday Life Will Be Sweet Like A Rhapsody
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 05:09:55 PM »

The second set is really good. Probably my 2nd favorite dance party set of the year behind 6.1 S2. I don't think St Paul is a SOTY contender, but I do agree that its better than a few on that list.
I'd take Jerry Garcia on a good night over sex or food.

Bron Yr Aur

• Umphreak
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 05:39:04 PM »

2018 definitely churned out a lot of huge shows IMO. Seems like their most consistently adventurous year in quite some time. I made a list of what I think are the 20 best shows of the year. Pick three of them and I'll count up the votes in a week and make a top 3 with a poll to pick the winner.

1/13
1/25
2/1
2/3
3/7
3/10
3/14
3/15
3/16

5/17
6/1
7/5
7/6
8/16
8/18
8/31
10/12
10/18
12/28
12/30

I would definitely put 10/5 and 10/19 on this list ahead of those that I crossed off. 

I would also put 7/7 up there ahead of 7/5 and 10/11 ahead of 10/12. 

Bron Yr Aur

• Umphreak
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 05:48:51 PM »

I'll go with:

2/1 - Some of the best improv of the year.  Song selection isn't exciting, but the jams are.  Synco, Domino, Kitchen, Prof, all four are JOTY worthy.

10/18 - Runner up.  Attendance bias for sure but I would also put the improv up there against any other show.  There are only about 6 jams but each one is fantastic and then you also get top notch versions of Thin Air, 1000 Places, and all the bustouts....

7/6 - This is my #1.  One of the best RR shows ever, start to finish basically a perfect show.  Song selection is strong, and there are so many awesome jams and they all get there.  Bonus points for the absolutely brilliant Australian Lullaby.

cshore

• Umphreak
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 06:16:32 PM »

Feel free to vote for any 3 shows, I just put what I consider to be the standouts.

smellthemitten20

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Sludge & Death
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 06:53:08 PM »

So... 1/4 of the shows they played last year were SOTY worthy?  One or two good jams =/= SOTY calibre, just sayin'. In all reality there were probably around 5-8 GREAT shows last year.  List is fluff. 2/3 absolutely does not belong on a SOTY list.  One good jam in the 2nd, good not great 1st set.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 06:55:02 PM by smellthemitten20 »

cshore

• Umphreak
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 07:08:11 PM »

So... 1/4 of the shows they played last year were SOTY worthy?  One or two good jams =/= SOTY calibre, just sayin'. In all reality there were probably around 5-8 GREAT shows last year.  List is fluff. 2/3 absolutely does not belong on a SOTY list.  One good jam in the 2nd, good not great 1st set.

I specifically said these are what I thought are the 20 best shows of the year. If some of them aren't as good they won't get voted for.

WOLFpacker16

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Reso, Example 1, Tribute, DBK
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 06:56:27 AM »

Agreed.  The improv feels very fresh in this show and I listen back to that first set a lot.  Higgins is a really fiery version and the Looks that comes after it is fucking awesome, and I don't even like that song.  The crooked one is nice with some great work by BB and driven to tears is an energetic closer.  2nd set is strong front to back and also the first time they opened up maybe someday.  It may not be soty to a lot of people, but all the improv in that show hits me the right way
If you look I'm sure you'd see, nothing's really as it seems...

Bron Yr Aur

• Umphreak
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 07:31:22 AM »

Agreed.  The improv feels very fresh in this show and I listen back to that first set a lot.  Higgins is a really fiery version and the Looks that comes after it is fucking awesome, and I don't even like that song.  The crooked one is nice with some great work by BB and driven to tears is an energetic closer.  2nd set is strong front to back and also the first time they opened up maybe someday.  It may not be soty to a lot of people, but all the improv in that show hits me the right way

Nice post.  The improv in that show is all about the dance peak and I love that.  Also the it's not us Half Delayed > Maybe Someday combination into the Nurses is just killer setlisting.

UMFree

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Pick's Stew
  • is it time to play sheep yet?
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 08:44:23 AM »

2018 was a great fuckin year

3.) 6/1 - This show has grown on me immensely in the past few months, but it's one of those shows where you can feel the energy right through the speakers when you listen. S2 is obviously where its at, but Phil's has a great theme to it. Just a great, classic stewart type of jam. Synco is driving and groovy, doesn't get to crazy unexplored territory, but a great jam nonetheless. Like SJB said, S2 is the biggest dance party set of 2018. The only letdown of that set is Conduit, and that's just bc i fuckin hate that song.

2.) 10/18 - Attendance bias. Just a stupidly fun show. Me and my buddy knew that something was up as soon as we pulled up and saw "Celebrating 20 years with Umphrey's McGee" on the marquee. Balloons shaped in the number "20" and others spelling out "Congrats" were hung up all throughout the main venue area. Cut Off is a pretty interesting choice for an opener, but not in a good way. Wizard, Liquid, Phil's, FF (at least the end half of the jam) all have totally standout improv that is both creative and exciting. All of that great improv, and that doesn't even touch the bustouts that were played. Obviously the quality of a show shouldn't be based on bustouts alone, but this one has the jams and the energy to go along with it, which is a really rare combo.

1.) 2/1 - Also attendance bias, but this would have been my number one even if I hadn't been there. Just my favorite all around show of the entire year. The first set comes out kicking with Speak Up>Kitchen and each has a super noteworthy jam. Both jams are that funky groovy jambandy noodleyness, which may sound bad on paper, but that's what got me into this band in the first place. When it's done poorly, yeah it sounds like shit (PPPP). But when its got a good groove to it and everybody is clicking, then its just feel good jam fun. However, in perfect UM form, Kitchen takes a turn for the sinister at the very end and ends on a fuckin mean ass Jake chug that's actually a product of a pretty evil stasik line. S2 is just a straight monster with Synco, DT, 1348 and Tinkle's all having incredible jams. Synco is JOTY '18 for me without a doubt, super creative and interesting; love it when Jake takes a back seat and falls into a chord progression or rhythm. I listen to this show, front to back, more than any other of the year.

I was going to add honorable mentions, but there were just so many noteworthy shows in 2018 that the HM list would just be gigantic. I'll just reiterate that 2018 was a great fuckin year of UM.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 09:35:38 AM by UMFree »
89 shows in 17 years is less than ten a year. that's some serious noob shit. get bent

umphate

• Umphreak
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 11:03:22 AM »

my 3 are:

1/25
3/7
7/6

LandLandNever

• Umphreak
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 11:07:11 AM »

1/25
7/6
10/18

I'm tempted to include 10/19 somewhere in there too, 10/18-19 was one hell of a 1-2 punch of a weekend.

2018 WAS a good year for UM. Especially the winter/spring, some really consistently strong shows in there.

cryan024

• Funkaholic
  • Umphreak
  • Caged Wisdom changed my life.
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 12:11:50 PM »

Didnt listen to much, but 10/18 was hands down the best night of Umphrey's I have seen since 2012, and one of the most fun shows I have seen from them period. I am sure there might be nights with better jams, but that evening was just pure joy.
People of zee wurl, Relax!!

umphdedump

• Favorite Track:: Mad Love
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2019, 11:54:53 AM »

7/6
Pages: [1]   Go Up