TheBort

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Worst Show You've Seen  (Read 2711 times)

opsopcopolis

• Umphreak
Re: Worst Show You've Seen
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2019, 10:00:18 AM »

01.17.2013 Landmark Theatre, Syracuse, NY, USA
Set 1: Cummins Lies > Miss Tinkle's Overture, Walletsworth, Der Bluten Kat > I'm On Fire > Der Bluten Kat, Through the Cracks, Smell the Mitten, The Floor
Set 2: Prowler > In The Kitchen > Deeper > #5 > In The Kitchen, Let's Dance, Utopian Fir > Cemetery Walk
Encore: Miami Virtue > Glory

Seen so many Upstate NY heaters... this was not one of them...

Fir is fire, the repeated stew in DBK is cool as well, but yeah this was a snoozer by and large

Agreed. Love the Fir and DBK. Wasn't an amazing show, but definitely not at the bottom of my list
Fuck you, I'm honestly a very tolerant person.

kmdeadhead

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Divisions > All Things Ninja
« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2019, 10:07:53 AM »

01.17.2013 Landmark Theatre, Syracuse, NY, USA
Set 1: Cummins Lies > Miss Tinkle's Overture, Walletsworth, Der Bluten Kat > I'm On Fire > Der Bluten Kat, Through the Cracks, Smell the Mitten, The Floor
Set 2: Prowler > In The Kitchen > Deeper > #5 > In The Kitchen, Let's Dance, Utopian Fir > Cemetery Walk
Encore: Miami Virtue > Glory

Seen so many Upstate NY heaters... this was not one of them...

Fir is fire, the repeated stew in DBK is cool as well, but yeah this was a snoozer by and large

Agreed. Love the Fir and DBK. Wasn't an amazing show, but definitely not at the bottom of my list

Guess I've gotten lucky if that's towards the bottom for me? Only other one I can think of is

09.06.2009 "moe.down 10" Snow Ridge Ski Resort, Turin, NY, USA

One Set: Professor Wormbog, Plunger > The Floor, Prowler > Push the Pig, 40's Theme, Mantis, Making Flippy Floppy[1] > 1348

3x40oz

• Umphreak
  • Butterscotch G&L 4 lyfe
    • Soccer Bros
« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2019, 10:39:09 AM »

Hmmm...no total stinkers come to mind, moreso standard/boring shows with little notable improv. As far as two set or headlining/co-headlining shows, it's probably either 2/27/2010 (TMSNEI and zero replay value for me), 8/8/2010 (can't recall one notable thing about this show.) 8/9/2014 and 6/21/2013 also in the running.
Your favorite song is probably Higgins.

myfarm

• Umphreak
  • Disc Hucker, Fluff Fluffer
« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2019, 10:40:51 AM »

03.07.2014 Crystal Ballroom, Portland, OR, USA
03.21.2015 The Moore Theatre, Seattle, WA, USA

These were both rough. I'll add 3.12.16 (Nemo not included) to the list of bad NW shows from that era. It was a Stasik setlist that just clunked along all night
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 12:33:39 PM by myfarm »
OCF > the Gorge > Cuthbert

UnCommon#5

• Relax, I'm a professional UMphreak/Kind-est Asshole around this side of the dark Web. ;p LOLolol
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Wappy Sprayberry, Much-O,Ringo
  • Throw it in your deep fryaaa chili chicken=<3onfya
    • don'tfuxwithflo.com/yuppp.Yuuuppp:)
« Reply #104 on: February 12, 2019, 10:47:49 AM »

Hmmm...no total stinkers come to mind, moreso standard/boring shows with little notable improv. As far as two set or headlining/co-headlining shows, it's probably either 2/27/2010 (TMSNEI and zero replay value for me), 8/8/2010 (can't recall one notable thing about this show.) 8/9/2014 and 6/21/2013 also in the running.

You know I was just thinking I was surprised no one mentioned my first show and you finally did. Perfect show for a gn00b but there's almost next to no improv in that show aside from the opening Wappy and some noodling around in a Ringo before Glory. I still remember the night roundly but looking back at it I realize it is a rather pedestrian show. Can't believe it's already almost been 9 years
The satanic voice in ResO is a part of UM$ character. It's not all unicorns + rainbows humor & darkness will always be present.

the "we C" part after those satanic vocals IS the ResOLuTioN

we'reonA#note2pass

[ter'ing]@  Penns Peak -> Pitt(?) > Camp Bisco

&iT Was aLL Bc of TheLittering&..

sarsalars17

• Monster mammajammer
    • http://www.diggleblop.com welcomes UM fans and other assorted idiots.
« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2019, 02:22:38 PM »

there was a first ave show somewhere between like 07-12 where there jake's guitar was totally out for the first part of the show, playing wasn't doing it for me that night

oh and ah st patrick's day was it 06 or 07 in south bend was appalling
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 03:04:47 PM by sarsalars17 »
FREE VEGA AGAIN

benf24

• Favorite Track:: August
« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2019, 03:56:02 PM »

3/10/06 chi theater & 3/17/07 south bend

I cannot let this stand... Chicago Theater just DOES NOT merit consideration in this thread. The Sociable Jimmy is probably my most listened to Umphrey's jam of all time. Uncle Wally, Triple Wide, JaJunk, AUGUST, all very solid versions. Liquid and Morning Song were very early so I probably didn't appreciate them as set closers at the time but I grew to love them upon further listens. The non-jammed Plunger encore was the only real boner-killer of the night. Plus, getting to see Umphrey's play a beautiful venue in Chicago instead of the usual dives was very cool.

To each his own...

Mal

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Speak up, speak up!
« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2019, 03:57:46 PM »

Man I've seen some bad shows... Didn't even have to look these up

2010/02/26 - Has to be worst show of all-time. So fucking boring. Terrible sit-in and I love Nate Wilson. Like zero improv. I was actually challenging friends to find me a worse show the day before this thread popped up. What timing!

2012/08/12 - moe.down snooze fest with Stanley Jordan

2014/10/31 - needs no explanation

2011/09/17 - Def worst Portland show I've seen and that says a lot because most Portland shows are rough

2013/01/17 Beacon 1. The turd that started it all. Happy for everyone going to BK instead of another mediocre Beacon run

2011/07/13 - co-bill with Yonder. nothing notable accept the Slacker and getting a 13 Days. Annoying encore with Yonder.

2016/08/12 - Boston pav standard town with lettuce horns. Woof. Had potential after that shitty Bayliss bday show the night before

2018/06/29 another Boston HOB stinker... 3 out of my 8 worst they come to mind out of 72
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 05:53:58 PM by Mal »

i_rest_alot

« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2019, 04:54:52 PM »

3/17/07 was indeed garbage. Northcoast 10 and the power outage Lincoln Hall (10/19/11) show are also up there in trashitude.

smellthemitten20

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Sludge & Death
« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2019, 05:25:54 PM »

3/17/07 was indeed garbage. Northcoast 10 and the power outage Lincoln Hall (10/19/11) show are also up there in trashitude.

Yes but the two nights before this one were fire.  Still a trash show, think I'd take it over this last Chicago show though.

Jimmy

• Fun Hogger
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Divisions > Chads >Gulf Stream
« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2019, 05:34:35 PM »

I cannot let this stand... Chicago Theater just DOES NOT merit consideration in this thread. The Sociable Jimmy is probably my most listened to Umphrey's jam of all time. Uncle Wally, Triple Wide, JaJunk, AUGUST, all very solid versions. Liquid and Morning Song were very early so I probably didn't appreciate them as set closers at the time but I grew to love them upon further listens. The non-jammed Plunger encore was the only real boner-killer of the night. Plus, getting to see Umphrey's play a beautiful venue in Chicago instead of the usual dives was very cool.

To each his own...

Yeah, for reals? I loved 3/10/06.

mja271

• Umphreak
« Reply #111 on: February 13, 2019, 08:13:59 AM »

2/26/10 - Not a bad set on paper but practically everything fell flat. Also featured two incredibly uninspired sit ins. Total dud.

10/31/14 - You know going in to not expect an improv banger from the mashup show but still this one was whack.  Right out the gate no 1348 jam, and then a technical malfunction during the OB improv dropped the sound in the venue completely.  No good jams, not great mashups, meh.

1/21/18 - It's almost too easy to pick on this show, but yea. I actually like the idea in principle but only if you do it right. It needed 3 sets to be done proper, and the songs they picked for each year were way too common, very little in the way of special treats pulled in for an anniversary show.

Those are the 3 out of 52 I've seen that I'd say were straight up not good. Seen a handful of other shows that were completely unmemorable but didn't move the negative needle enough for me to hate them.

brink

• Umphreak
« Reply #112 on: February 13, 2019, 09:09:47 AM »

02.25.2007 Legends, Boone, NC, USA

Set 1: Walletsworth > Hangover, The Fussy Dutchman > FF > Roulette, Mail Package, The Triple Wide

Set 2: Morning Song, Hurt Bird Bath, Bad Poker, Kinky Reggae, Slacker, Miss Tinkle's Overture

Encore: Nemo

standard Nemo as a closer, played in a former grocery store, extremely uninspired improv

Came to post this...The only cool thing about this show was that you could BYOB but you had to check it with a bartender and then exchange a ticket for each of your beers...Fun aftershow at Boone Saloon though.

beach

« Reply #113 on: February 13, 2019, 09:20:35 AM »

3/17/07 was a rough show to end that 4 show run.  The post show hotel and bar antics on 3/17 were some of my favorite times though.  Helps that this is pretty much a hometown show for me so all my non umphreys fan friends still came out to party.

UncleDutchman

• I'll think of something better later
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Ringo HBB August 40s Blue Echo
  • Don't take me too seriously, it's the internet
« Reply #114 on: February 13, 2019, 09:34:42 AM »

I actually liked this show. I didnt have to listen to anyone in the band sign once.

OBEY MY FUCKING SHEEP

SleepytimeGorilla

• Umphreak
« Reply #115 on: February 13, 2019, 09:56:19 AM »

I thought this show was just kind of there with nothing that excited me:

08.31.2013 Bank of America Pavilion, Boston, MA, USA
One Set: Plunger > Walletsworth, Crucial Taunt, The Pequod, The Linear > Glory > Deeper, Divisions > Soul Food II > Divisions, No Diablo, White Pickle > Regulate[1], Mulche's Odyssey

People have mentioned a few Boston HoB shows, but I've always enjoyed them more than the above.

Agreed on this one. I came in late and missed the Plunger outro jam, which I had been chasing for a while, and was probably the highlight of the show. Now it's just as common as a mid-song jam, but I had never caught an outro jam before. Other than that, I was glad to get a rare Peqoud and Divisions, but agree on it just "being there". So many songs for a one-setter. Wouldn't have called it a "bad show" at the time, but in retrospect it's probably in the bottom 10% of shows I've seen from them. The closing STS9 set was pretty good from what I remember, but I had never seen them before so I have no idea how it stacked up against their best.

I got headphones and snowcones for this show, which was cool for a big outdoor venue, and also cool that I had them through STS9 as well. That aspect made the show better and more memorable than it would have been otherwise.

10/31/14 is by far the worst experience I've ever had at a UM show, music-wise and personally (bad L trip with my gf of over a year who I knew I was so done with; we broke up 2 weeks later).
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 09:58:05 AM by SleepytimeGorilla »

Brooklyn x3, Detroit x2

LandLandNever

• Umphreak
« Reply #116 on: February 13, 2019, 10:00:39 AM »

2010/02/26 - Has to be worst show of all-time. So fucking boring. Terrible sit-in and I love Nate Wilson. Like zero improv. I was actually challenging friends to find me a worse show the day before this thread popped up. What timing!

2011/09/17 - Def worst Portland show I've seen and that says a lot because most Portland shows are rough

2013/01/17 Beacon 1. The turd that started it all. Happy for everyone going to BK instead of another mediocre Beacon run

2011/07/13 - co-bill with Yonder. nothing notable accept the Slacker and getting a 13 Days. Annoying encore with Yonder.

2016/08/12 - Boston pav standard town with lettuce horns. Woof. Had potential after that shitty Bayliss bday show the night before

2018/06/29 another Boston HOB stinker... 3 out of my 8 worst they come to mind out of 72

Kinda surprised no one has mentioned BB's birthday show that year (8/11). The 2nd set was decent enough to not land on this list apparently. Funny thing is it was my girl's 1st UM show (she only stayed for the 1st set but not because she didn't like it) and for me I was thinking "man this set sucks ass and has zero improv but this is an ideal set for her since it was so song-y and they played a lot of songs she would have liked). I was having a good enough time, I didn't mind it even if I was bored with it. 

Albert Ross

• Umphreak
« Reply #117 on: February 13, 2019, 10:05:30 AM »

I actually liked this show. I didnt have to listen to anyone in the band sign once.

Yeah that show was a ton of fun and not an entire waste of time to listen to. The Linear done Tractorbeam style? Yes plz

Though it did tank hard once they got the PA working again and started busting out the Death by Stereo tracks

Mags

• Umphreak
« Reply #118 on: February 13, 2019, 10:33:59 AM »

Really on the 18 hob show? I thought it was great and had an absolute blast. People around me were getting down. DBK > Debra > DBK? Yes please.

smellthemitten20

• Umphreak
« Reply #119 on: February 13, 2019, 10:36:58 AM »

Really on the 18 hob show? I thought it was great and had an absolute blast. People around me were getting down. DBK > Debra > DBK? Yes please.

I thought it was pretty meh but it honestly wasn't even close to the the worst show I saw in 2018. 

cypress

• Umphreak
« Reply #120 on: February 13, 2019, 11:37:14 AM »

1/25/2003 K-Zoo. It was Kris' 3rd show so I'll grade on a curve but it was a rough one.

cshore

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Anything w/ Sad Bayliss
« Reply #121 on: February 13, 2019, 11:42:24 AM »

I thought it was pretty meh but it honestly wasn't even close to the the worst show I saw in 2018.

Other than the Beacon show, the only show I liked less than Boston was probably HBC. However, put those shows in 2014-2015 and they’d be closer to the middle of the pack. They’re not terrible shows and not really worthy of this list, but they’re not great either. I remember liking NN from Boston and that’s about it.
Nah man you’re reviews are what’s old, literally anything you say is the exact opposite of how the majority of the crowd feels. Get a lilfe you salty depressed loser.

Winnertakesall

• Umphreak
« Reply #122 on: February 13, 2019, 11:43:02 AM »

What was wrong with HBC? Best standard attachments ever played.

cshore

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Anything w/ Sad Bayliss
« Reply #123 on: February 13, 2019, 11:45:01 AM »

Show was as fam as it gets, but pretty standardtown.

Edit: no recollection of RW being played in Boston, I might relisten and see if it’s any good.
Nah man you’re reviews are what’s old, literally anything you say is the exact opposite of how the majority of the crowd feels. Get a lilfe you salty depressed loser.

smellthemitten20

• Umphreak
« Reply #124 on: February 13, 2019, 11:47:54 AM »

Show was as fam as it gets, but pretty standardtown.

Edit: no recollection of RW being played in Boston, I might relisten and see if it’s any good.

It's not bad, the jam reminds me a lot of Kula.  Not noteworthy by any means.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up