TheBort

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Worst Show You've Seen  (Read 4059 times)

StoneJackBaller

• Spreadneck
  • Umphreak
  • Someday Life Will Be Sweet Like A Rhapsody
Worst Show You've Seen
« on: February 08, 2019, 04:10:31 PM »

Couldn't find a thread for this. It probably exists.

The 2 that come to mind for me are 07/08/16 (got kicked out of that show too) and 05/31/18. Both shows we're pretty bad, but had a redeeming quality or two.

I'm sure there's some worse ones out there. What's the worst show you've seen? Maybe we'll find the worst show ever....
I'd take Jerry Garcia on a good night over sex or food.

iamkickinit

• Umphreak
Re: Worst Show You've Seen
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 04:22:11 PM »

A few come to mind:

Muncie ‘08 - it wasn’t that the music was terrible, it wasn’t good, but the scene in that room was just weird. Uniformed police walking the aisles. No alcohol served. Not allowed to smoke anywhere outside (campus rules). Just a very strange set of circumstances. Thought the encore with “Band on the Run” was fitting. They couldn’t wait to leave, too.

Kalamazoo ‘14 - this seemed to be a pretty divisive show around these parts. I couldn’t stand it. Minimal improv, and the improv that was there wasn’t very developed.

Cleveland ‘12 - just a bad show. All around. Nothing redeeming here. Plus, nothing worse than a sold out HOB show.

UMFree

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Pick's Stew
  • is it time to play sheep yet?
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 04:27:49 PM »

A few come to mind:

Muncie ‘08 - it wasn’t that the music was terrible, it wasn’t good, but the scene in that room was just weird. Uniformed police walking the aisles. No alcohol served. Not allowed to smoke anywhere outside (campus rules). Just a very strange set of circumstances. Thought the encore with “Band on the Run” was fitting. They couldn’t wait to leave, too.

Kalamazoo ‘14 - this seemed to be a pretty divisive show around these parts. I couldn’t stand it. Minimal improv, and the improv that was there wasn’t very developed.

Cleveland ‘12 - just a bad show. All around. Nothing redeeming here. Plus, nothing worse than a sold out HOB show.

+1, just echoing what I said in the other thread but man... what a strange show. It was my brother's first show that I finally got him to after raving about UM for about 4 years. Luckily, he saw them again in the summer of '09 and they brought the heat. I think the music was pretty terrible for the most part; the Water and Nemo jams are sooo mindless and noodley. Pretty sure this was also one of the first shows that Jake was beta testing the new Moog guitar? Could be wrong though. I literally can't even think of another show that I've seen that even comes close to how awkward and bad this one was.

Not shocked this was the one and only time they've ever played on BSU campus
89 shows in 17 years is less than ten a year. that's some serious noob shit. get bent

Albert Ross

• Umphreak
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 04:42:47 PM »

11.06.2014 KALAMAZOO STATE THEATRE, KALAMAZOO, MI, USA
Set 1: Le Blitz > Eat > The Pequod > Eat, Words, Little Gift, No Diablo, Liberty Echo > Bad Poker, No More Tears, Hajimemashite

Set 2: Forty-Six & 2, The Weight Around, The Triple Wide > Cemetery Walk > Cemetery Walk II, Syncopated Strangers > Dirty Love > Syncopated Strangers > Wizard Burial Ground

Encore: JaJunk

Wrapped around Chicago

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Bridgeless
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 04:43:05 PM »

Prob something from Summer Camp post 2012

StoneJackBaller

• Spreadneck
  • Umphreak
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 04:47:36 PM »

Yeah, the conversation in the Jake on Keys thread (and the Muncie '08 show) was obviously the inspiration for this thread. Haven't listened to the show, but glanced at the setlist and it doesn't look too terrible on paper. Nice to have some insight. Police in the aisles doesn't sound fun at all.

The two that I listed are for similar reasons.

The Myrtle Beach '16 show was a WAYYYY oversold and packed HOB show. The Werks opened and crushed with about 75 people there. By the time UM came on there was nowhere to even stand. The setlist was terrible and the jams were non-existent. I got kicked out mid-way through the second set and missed the 20min Divisions closer. Still haven't listened to it on principle.

The Charleston '18 show was fucked from the jump. It looked like it was going to be rained out. Had about an hour delay and it cut the show to one set.....in a mud pit.

Come to think of it, I had a great time at both of these shows (drugs man  ;D) but I remember leaving both shows very disappointed with the music.

cshore

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Anything w/ Sad Bayliss
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 04:54:54 PM »

10/31/14 - Garbage show. 3 minute puppet jam is the only interesting thing in the whole show. Like 7 mashups. I hate mashups which ultimately makes this the worst show in the history of forever.

1/21/18 - fuck this show and fuck you if you try to defend it.

8/31/13 - fun Plunger to open up and then just a total dud from there on. STUM tour had some great shows and unfortunately I caught the absolute worst of the bunch.

6/11/10 - Bonnaroo. In retrospect this was a super lame show, although I actually really like the Turn & Dub. Thing is, this was my second show so I loved it at the time.
Nah man you’re reviews are what’s old, literally anything you say is the exact opposite of how the majority of the crowd feels. Get a lilfe you salty depressed loser.

cshore

• Umphreak
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 04:56:15 PM »

Set 1: Le Blitz > Eat > The Pequod > Eat, Words, Little Gift, No Diablo, Liberty Echo > Bad Poker, No More Tears, Hajimemashite

Set 2: Forty-Six & 2, The Weight Around, The Triple Wide > Cemetery Walk > Cemetery Walk II, Syncopated Strangers > Dirty Love > Syncopated Strangers > Wizard Burial Ground

Hmm I wonder who could’ve wrote that setlist
Nah man you’re reviews are what’s old, literally anything you say is the exact opposite of how the majority of the crowd feels. Get a lilfe you salty depressed loser.

WOLFpacker16

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Reso, Example 1, Tribute, DBK
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 05:02:52 PM »

Raleigh Vday show in 2015 is probably my least fav attended.  A lot of flubs, weird setlist for a valentines day show (educated guess, morning song to open set 2), improv wasn't really there until the end of the 2nd set.  I did catch a ninja and hey 19 which I was chasing hard at the time, but overall a pretty forgettable show. 
If you look I'm sure you'd see, nothing's really as it seems...

Yawnspterodactyl

• Umphreak
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 05:13:35 PM »

Raleigh Vday show in 2015 is probably my least fav attended.  A lot of flubs, weird setlist for a valentines day show (educated guess, morning song to open set 2), improv wasn't really there until the end of the 2nd set.  I did catch a ninja and hey 19 which I was chasing hard at the time, but overall a pretty forgettable show.

This.

the worst show I’ve ever seen from them. Absolutely garbage of a show

opsopcopolis

• Umphreak
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 05:16:42 PM »

This.

the worst show I’ve ever seen from them. Absolutely garbage of a show

That show was weird. What little improv was there was interesting though
Fuck you, I'm honestly a very tolerant person.

StoneJackBaller

• Spreadneck
  • Umphreak
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 05:19:37 PM »

Yeah, 2015 is probably my least favorite year of UM. The Asheville show wasn't very good, the Knoxville show was bad. However, the Charlotte show that year was pretty fucking awesome . That Night Nurse wheeeww. Still one of my favorite jams I've seen live.

cshore

• Umphreak
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 05:26:42 PM »

Yeah, 2015 is probably my least favorite year of UM. The Asheville show wasn't very good, the Knoxville show was bad. However, the Charlotte show that year was pretty fucking awesome . That Night Nurse wheeeww. Still one of my favorite jams I've seen live.

2015 did suck a little overall but I also caught some jams I really loved that year. 1/1 Phil’s, 1/3 Dump, 2/18 Jajunk, 7/16 Plunger, 9/10 AIT. The Athens run was great, 9/26/15 is probably the best UM show of the past 5 years, and I seem to recall great opening nights to the Halloween and NYE runs.

WOLFpacker16

• Umphreak
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 05:28:46 PM »

I thought that Asheville show was pretty damn good.  Maybe it was the excitement of seeing them in the arena for the first time, but it was fun.  Dirty OB and Wappy

StoneJackBaller

• Spreadneck
  • Umphreak
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2019, 05:33:01 PM »

I thought that Asheville show was pretty damn good.  Maybe it was the excitement of seeing them in the arena for the first time, but it was fun.  Dirty OB and Wappy

True. There was a huge OB in that Asheville show. And how could I forget that 3rd night of Chucktown. Holy shit. Top 5 shows attended.

This thread is about bad shows ;)

WOLFpacker16

• Umphreak
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2019, 05:37:56 PM »

6/28/12 is probably another bottom of the barrel show for me, although the venue was absolutely gorgeous.  Stasik was having rig issues through the first 2 songs, so nothing great improv wise happened there.  Kitchen was a banger but there wasn't anything particularly noteworthy about the second set.  The fact that this show and that raleigh vday show are the worst 2 shows I've seen says a lot about how good the band is, cause these aren't BAD shows, just not great ones.

AlexTheDictator

• Umphreak
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 05:38:40 PM »

Definitely Muncie '08.

racecar

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2019, 05:59:16 PM »

02.25.2007 Legends, Boone, NC, USA

Set 1: Walletsworth > Hangover, The Fussy Dutchman > FF > Roulette, Mail Package, The Triple Wide

Set 2: Morning Song, Hurt Bird Bath, Bad Poker, Kinky Reggae, Slacker, Miss Tinkle's Overture

Encore: Nemo

standard Nemo as a closer, played in a former grocery store, extremely uninspired improv

The Abstract

• OKlahomeh
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: FDR
  • What it has will surely last but is that Jazz?
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2019, 06:11:08 PM »

09/12/2009 - House of Blues - Dallas, TX

Set 1: Higgins, Roulette > Gulf Stream, 2x2, Red Tape, Muscle Shoals Nitty Gritty, Words

Set 2: The Bottom Half, Cemetery Walk II, Layla, The Fussy Dutchman > Keefer > The Fussy Dutchman, Ocean Billy > Get In The Van > Ocean Billy

Encore: Preamble > Mantis

2X2 and Bottom Half have the only improv. Muscle Shoals and Fussy > Keefer > Dutchman were the highlights. A big letdown after the Canopy run.
"Well, opinions are like assholes...everybody has one."-Det. Harry Callahan

opsopcopolis

• Umphreak
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2019, 06:39:48 PM »

10/31/14 is definitely the first that springs to mind. I’ve seen a handful of awfully boring shows, but not really any others that I’d say were bad. Burlington ‘14 is close
Fuck you, I'm honestly a very tolerant person.

Winnertakesall

• Umphreak
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2019, 07:00:29 PM »

1/21/18

All Thoughts Divided

• Umphreak
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2019, 07:09:04 PM »

Two of my worst occurred in the same room (HOB Boston) as one of my best:  2/26/10, 10/31/14 and 1/27/11...

Bron Yr Aur

• Umphreak
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2019, 07:38:19 PM »

South Bend 07 was pretty damn boring aside from the Nemo in first set and the Belew guest spots. 

Hmm I wonder who could’ve wrote that setlist

Lol I remember hearing that Stasik was hyping this setlist on Twitter before the show and got really excited.  This is one of the least jammed shows ever....pretty sure the improv clock on the first set is 8 or 9 mins...

That said it was worth it for the 46&2.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 08:52:31 PM by Bron Yr Aur »

RyanF

• Umphreak
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2019, 07:49:59 PM »

3/10/06 chi theater & 3/17/07 south bend

Kev347

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: October Rain, Educated Guess
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2019, 08:03:55 PM »

02.25.2007 Legends, Boone, NC, USA

Set 1: Walletsworth > Hangover, The Fussy Dutchman > FF > Roulette, Mail Package, The Triple Wide

Set 2: Morning Song, Hurt Bird Bath, Bad Poker, Kinky Reggae, Slacker, Miss Tinkle's Overture

Encore: Nemo

standard Nemo as a closer, played in a former grocery store, extremely uninspired improv

I listened to this recently. 2nd set may be in fact the worst set I've ever heard them play. HBB and Slacker roll over and die and Tinkle's is literally 7 minutes.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up