TheBort

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Jake on Keys Jams  (Read 1384 times)

cshore

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Anything w/ Sad Bayliss
Best Jake on Keys Jams
« on: February 07, 2019, 10:01:41 AM »

Does this list already exist elsewhere? I want to compile some of the best ones. Iím looking for musical uniqueness (some Jake keys jams can be a little too straightforward chord progression jams for me), and jams where the rest of the band shine. Bayliss gets some good spotlight on Jake keys jams and Kris is usually on fire during these jams as well.

This list obviously needs some serious bulking up and Iím forgetting a ton of stuff so hit me with those suggestions.

10/04/06 Visions
1/14/10 Sociable Jimmy
3/23/13 DBK
3/22/14 Nemo
2/20/16 Fir
3/12/16 Nemo
7/2/16 Red Rocks
2/18/17 Puppet
1/25/18 Mantis (aka Famantis aka Jamantis aka greatest jam of all time)
1/26/18 FF
1/12/19 OB
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 10:22:14 AM by cshore »
Nah man youíre reviews are whatís old, literally anything you say is the exact opposite of how the majority of the crowd feels. Get a lilfe you salty depressed loser.

All Thoughts Divided

• Umphreak
Re: Best Jake on Keys Jams
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 10:09:25 AM »

10/4/06 Visions (Jake and Pony on keys, BB on perc) is one of the best jams I can think of period, let alone with Jake on keys.

cshore

• Umphreak
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 10:16:36 AM »

10/4/06 Visions (Jake and Pony on keys, BB on perc) is one of the best jams I can think of period, let alone with Jake on keys.

Not sure I've heard this. Will give it a listen.
Nah man youíre reviews are whatís old, literally anything you say is the exact opposite of how the majority of the crowd feels. Get a lilfe you salty depressed loser.

All Thoughts Divided

• Umphreak
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 10:18:23 AM »

Buckle up.

All Thoughts Divided

• Umphreak
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 10:23:59 AM »

Also 12/1/06 Ringo comes to mind. There have been so many of these over the years that are good. I need to jog the memory.

cshore

• Umphreak
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 10:26:05 AM »

Yeah I'm hazy on older keys jams. What's the timeline like for them? I feel like toward 2008-2012 they went away for a while, but maybe I'm wrong.

Edit: that high pitched synth in this Visions is confusing my cats. Jam is definitely off to a cool start with the chromatic runs with the delay.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 10:28:31 AM by cshore »

UMFree

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Pick's Stew
  • is it time to play sheep yet?
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 10:33:06 AM »

I also feel like they went away for awhile around that time. I definitely dont remember seeing any or talking much about jake keys jams.

Also, not sure if it was purposefully left out but im a big fan of 1/25/18 Mantis. Jakes latin keys mixed with Stasikís lines is fantastic, imo

cshore

• Umphreak
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 10:34:56 AM »

I also feel like they went away for awhile around that time. I definitely dont remember seeing any or talking much about jake keys jams.

Also, not sure if it was purposefully left out but im a big fan of 1/25/18 Mantis. Jakes latin keys mixed with Stasikís lines is fantastic, imo

I didn't put that Mantis on there. If enough people complain about that, I'll put it on. It's an example of what I was saying in the OP. It's just a 4 chord progression that goes on for 6-7 minutes then the jam is over. I like it enough, and in the context of that set it works well, but don't think it is up with the best of them.

inversion

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 10:40:30 AM »

3/23/13 DBK is great

10/20/06 Wormbog is good as well

Jimmy

• Fun Hogger
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Divisions > Chads >Gulf Stream
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 10:41:22 AM »

I really liked 7/1/17 Push the Pig

Edit: actually, that might not be the one I'm thinking of. Seems Pig gets Jake on keys a decent amount. Need to relisten to the other versions - 3/14/18, 1/19/18, 3/9/17
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 10:49:08 AM by Jimmy »

UMFree

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Pick's Stew
  • is it time to play sheep yet?
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 10:41:55 AM »

I didn't put that Mantis on there. If enough people complain about that, I'll put it on. It's an example of what I was saying in the OP. It's just a 4 chord progression that goes on for 6-7 minutes then the jam is over. I like it enough, and in the context of that set it works well, but don't think it is up with the best of them.

Right on, totally agree that its great but not holy shit material. Stoked to see what this list compiles. Jake keys jams tend to bring the most unique and creative jams for sure

Jcubson

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Divisions
  • No way, get real.
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 10:48:30 AM »

Nemo from 03/12/2016 and 03/22/2014
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 10:57:54 AM by Jcubson »

nextmovement41

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Blue Echo, FF, Tribute, Fir
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 10:51:33 AM »

Buckle up.

opsopcopolis

• Umphreak
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 11:16:11 AM »

Both that Mantis and the 2016 RR Mantis should be on there IMO
Fuck you, I'm honestly a very tolerant person.

cshore

• Umphreak
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2019, 11:19:31 AM »

Oh yeah RR Mantis for sure duh

Nemo from 03/12/2016 and 03/22/2014

Not sure I know the first one but yeah forgot about 3/22/14. Love that whole Deeper Nemo segment

SleepytimeGorilla

• Umphreak
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2019, 11:32:03 AM »

I wouldn't say this should be included on the list of "best ever", as it doesn't really go anywhere, but Chapter 3 of the All Improv Set at UM Bowl VII (5/6/16) was pretty enjoyable. I've gone back and listened to that a bunch of times.

Brooklyn x3, Detroit x2

AlexTheDictator

• Umphreak
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2019, 12:15:55 PM »

3/23/13 DBK is great

Was coming here to post this one.

Bron Yr Aur

• Umphreak
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2019, 08:57:07 PM »

Completely agree on both.  Yes, the 1/25/18 is a repetitive jam but it has one of the most memorable motifs of any Jake-on-keys jam, ever. 

All Thoughts Divided

• Umphreak
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2019, 10:08:04 PM »

10/14/18 Plunger

slowciableslowdor

• Umphreak
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2019, 10:50:37 PM »

Lol you're such a fucking nerd that you won't put FAMANTIS on a best of Jake on keys list

ISO ONE ICELAND PASS

any tune can improv of u make it into a sandwich 😋

opsopcopolis

• Umphreak
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2019, 06:31:47 AM »

Lol you're such a fucking nerd that you won't put FAMANTIS on a best of Jake on keys list

Seriously. Great jam. Do it
Fuck you, I'm honestly a very tolerant person.

WOLFpacker16

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Reso, Example 1, Tribute, DBK
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2019, 06:39:49 AM »

The booth love from St. Augustine a few years back is a good one.  Although that jam is more a testament to bayliss's shredding than jakes key playing ability
If you look I'm sure you'd see, nothing's really as it seems...

cshore

• Umphreak
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2019, 09:28:40 AM »

Ugh fine

3x40oz

• Umphreak
  • An athletic stoner nerdy bro
    • Soccer Bros
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2019, 09:38:31 AM »

mt; this is a thread I am interested in.

I haven't listened in a while so I forget the highest highlights, but surely something from 1/14/2010 belongs on the list.
Your favorite song is probably Higgins.

cshore

• Umphreak
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2019, 09:42:15 AM »

3/23/13 DBK is great

10/20/06 Wormbog is good as well

Loving this DBK. Exactly the kind of thing I love from a Jake keys jam. Looks like itís gonna be a little short but thatís ok.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up