TheBort

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorite Raw Stewage, from Stewart Into Song?  (Read 326 times)

JWelsh

• UM Laison & Webmaster, Architect, Urban Designer, Music Fan
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: The Other Side of Things
  • I'm in charge of lemonade.
    • Umphrey's McGee
Favorite Raw Stewage, from Stewart Into Song?
« on: January 29, 2019, 10:57:44 AM »

Not sure if this is already a thread; I apologize if I am repeating something.

###

My sentimental favorite might have to be "Mad Love," having been at 02.21.04 in Baltimore. (One of my favorite UM shows I have ever seen, to this day. That Redman second set is a must-hear.)

But I think I may also need to go with "Web Tangle." I have been a fan of that Stewart from day one, with the 2004 "JaJunk" and the 2006 "Kitchen," and then seeing the Mtn. Jam "Eat" in 2007. The patience with the melody, and the tone that they are getting on their guitars. I am not sure what Jake? is doing technically, but I can't get enough of it.

opsopcopolis

• Umphreak
Re: Favorite Raw Stewage, from Stewart Into Song?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 11:02:48 AM »

Amble On, but mostly because it gave me the chance to see TQ Funeral
Fuck you, I'm honestly a very tolerant person.

mja271

• Umphreak
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 11:26:45 AM »

I think Den is one of the best in terms of doing a good job of actually recreating the jam that it came from. It captures the vibe and spirit of that BLBC great

smellthemitten20

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Sludge & Death
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 11:36:28 AM »

I think Den is one of the best in terms of doing a good job of actually recreating the jam that it came from. It captures the vibe and spirit of that BLBC great

Honestly think them turning that jam into an actual song that has found it's way into the regular rotation has kind of ruined it.  I really enjoy the nods they've given to some that have kind of been played once or in different iterations, like a work in progress, but never really stuck(i.e. Web Tangle, Larceny, Fool's Gold, Theresa).  Some have turned into excellent songs, but I'd rather just let that one moment or series of moments live in those shows.  "Den" Bright Lights is so much more spectacular in that moment and listening to it in it's original form than it ever will be as an actual song. 

opsopcopolis

• Umphreak
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 11:40:24 AM »

Honestly think them turning that jam into an actual song that has found it's way into the regular rotation has kind of ruined it.  I really enjoy the nods they've given to some that have kind of been played once or in different iterations, like a work in progress, but never really stuck(i.e. Web Tangle, Larceny, Fool's Gold, Theresa).  Some have turned into excellent songs, but I'd rather just let that one moment or series of moments live in those shows.  "Den" Bright Lights is so much more spectacular in that moment and listening to it in it's original form than it ever will be as an actual song.

Honestly that's how I feel about the vast majority of Raw Stewage. I think they're fun at UMBowl just to see them tackle the jams again, but adding them to the rotation ruins it for me.

JWelsh

• UM Laison & Webmaster, Architect, Urban Designer, Music Fan
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: The Other Side of Things
  • I'm in charge of lemonade.
    • Umphrey's McGee
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 12:10:45 PM »

Maybe I don't see as many shows as some of you, but the fact that a beautiful/moving/interesting melody that grew out of improv can be heard again fifteen years later is the opposite of "ruining." For me. Overplaying of any song can diminish the excitement of hearing it, but that is not specific to a Raw Stewage. I love the fact that I can hear these moments again live.

mja271

• Umphreak
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 12:37:54 PM »

I definitely agree with the sentiment that the Raw Stewage doesn't live up to the originals in most/all cases but I can still go back and fondly revisit the jams they came from.  They don't ruin anything for me personally in regards to the originals.  I do think there's a bit too much RS stuff in regular rotation though.

All Thoughts Divided

• Umphreak
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 12:50:57 PM »

I am a big fan of many Raw Stewage songs. Draconian might be my favorite UM song in rotation at the moment. Others I enjoy are Mad Love, Stinko’s, Gents and Non-Compliace...  I do understand how some of the songs like Den lose their luster from the original organic versions and how others (see Upward) suffer from getting played to death. If Upward was played as often as Final Word, I don’t think it would be anywhere near as hated on by the Bort as it is.  I still think UMBowl/Raw Stewage is the coolest thing I have seen the band try in the 14+ years I have been seeing them.

frgnugs

• Umphreak
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 02:01:27 AM »

The one I think of is Gulf Stream.  They wrote/stew’d that song for the MW fam and it became the beautiful song it is today.  All about doing what we came to do, w the people we love.  Gulf Stream baby.

Skyline stew>Puppet strings

Cemetery stew > Red Tape

PKSConrad

• Grown Ass Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Umphreak
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 12:02:55 PM »

The one I think of is Gulf Stream.  They wrote/stew’d that song for the MW fam and it became the beautiful song it is today.  All about doing what we came to do, w the people we love.  Gulf Stream baby.

Skyline stew>Puppet strings

Cemetery stew > Red Tape

None of the songs you mentioned are Raw Stewage songs lol.

I particularly love the whole Raw Stewage idea and hope that it returns one day.  Web Tangle is gorgeous and I wish they would play it again.  A few of my personal favorites that are in rotation are Draconian, Make it Right and Mad Love.

timewilltell

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: #5 Blecho the haunt, dump city
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 12:58:13 PM »

One I really liked when I saw it at UMbowl 3 was 9:30. I know they will never play that again but I really like the jam that that song came from.
Quote from: slowciablehodor on March 07, 2017, 06:32:05 PM
Who doesn't love to pee on women?

Random Ass

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Draconian
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 01:03:52 PM »

Compositionally, Make it Right may be my favorite that is still in rotation.  I'll gladly take any of the big jam vehicles as well (Draconian, Stinko's, etc).  I could do without hearing Mad Love, Den, Final Word, and Upward ever again.

opsopcopolis

• Umphreak
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2019, 01:07:18 PM »

I was a little harsh. I like a handful of them (Draconian, Breaker, Remind Me.) There's just something about a handful of them (Mad Love, Upward, Den) that bore the living hell out of me. I'd rather see UM improvise a peak then have them play an old peak

timewilltell

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: #5 Blecho the haunt, dump city
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2019, 01:10:53 PM »

I was a little harsh. I like a handful of them (Draconian, Breaker, Remind Me.) There's just something about a handful of them (Mad Love, Upward, Den) that bore the living hell out of me. I'd rather see UM improvise a peak then have them play an old peak
Don’t even get me started about replacing a jam slot for upward. Makes me what to  :banghead:
Quote from: slowciablehodor on March 07, 2017, 06:32:05 PM
Who doesn't love to pee on women?

UMFree

• Bayliss' Therapist
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Pick's Stew
  • The hallways will always be there
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2019, 01:12:32 PM »

Is Gents a Raw Stewage original? If not, where did that come from? Still dyin to catch that one. Such a good riff

I was totally outta the game when they released that one
You're welcome. Buy the ticket take the ride. I take my concerts seriously.

Random Ass

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Draconian
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2019, 01:14:06 PM »

Is Gents a Raw Stewage original? If not, where did that come from? Still dyin to catch that one. Such a good riff

2014 Raw Stewage opener.  03.07.2013 In the Kitchen + 09.23.2011 Ocean Billy.

UMFree

• Bayliss' Therapist
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Pick's Stew
  • The hallways will always be there
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2019, 01:15:22 PM »

2014 Raw Stewage opener.  03.07.2013 In the Kitchen + 09.23.2011 Ocean Billy.

Sick. Thank you!
You're welcome. Buy the ticket take the ride. I take my concerts seriously.

mja271

• Umphreak
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2019, 03:02:55 PM »

After hearing Seven Signs, I really would love for them to work some of FDR into the Maybe Someday outro. That works so well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up