TheBort

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Mantis: 10 years on  (Read 2095 times)

southpaw930 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

gatroe

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: WLTP
Re: Mantis: 10 years on
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2019, 09:39:17 PM »

And studio Spires ending
Im not a buy the pack type.. more of the bum a cig type which is arguably worse.
What's your show stream count?

Albert Ross

• Umphreak
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2019, 09:51:15 PM »

I also got into UM in the peak of the Mantis era so this discussion hits home. I don't have any particular sentimental stories, though the (free) Mantis release party was almost my first show. My roommate asked if I wanted to go and I turned him down to do homework

kmdeadhead

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Divisions > All Things Ninja
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2019, 10:15:03 PM »

One of the not as common great times in my life where an album was so hyped and then didn't let down, it's aged well too, especially in hindsight. As other's have said this is a perfect snapshot of a lot of great memories of the band from that time.

Fwiw I was also in High School, but had been seeing UM since 2008 and listening to them since SIN came out.

StoneJackBaller

• Umphreak
  • Someday Life Will Be Sweet Like A Rhapsody
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2019, 10:38:38 PM »

Also was a Senior in High school and just getting into UM when this album came out. Crazy how so many have a similar story.

slowciableslowdor

• Umphreak
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2019, 06:34:15 AM »

Also was a Senior in High school and just getting into UM when this album came out. Crazy how so many have a similar story.

any tune can improv of u make it into a sandwich 😋

UMFree

• Bayliss' Therapist
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Pick's Stew
  • The hallways will always be there
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2019, 07:15:37 AM »

Also was a Senior in High school when this album came out. Crazy how so many have a similar story.
You're welcome. Buy the ticket take the ride. I take my concerts seriously.

brooks

• Favorite Track:: AIT, 3x
  • So. Awesome.
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2019, 09:21:27 AM »

And studio Spires ending

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I always felt like the studio ending of Spires was the only real misstep on the entire album. Made it too bloated, imo.

Anyone remember how for the first year or so after the release they had to play along with samples of some of the composed parts when playing some of the Mantis tunes?

Random Ass

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Draconian
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2019, 09:23:15 AM »

And studio Spires ending

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I always felt like the studio ending of Spires was the only real misstep on the entire album. Made it too bloated, imo.

Anyone remember how for the first year or so after the release they had to play along with samples of some of the composed parts when playing some of the Mantis tunes?

All I recall is them using samples for the Made to Measure ending, and Preamble, and they still do for both.

opsopcopolis

• Umphreak
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2019, 09:28:04 AM »

And studio Spires ending

All I recall is them using samples for the Made to Measure ending, and Preamble, and they still do for both.

I love the Spires ending. One of my favorite sections on the record.

And yeah, just the clarinets on M2M and Preamble. Both sound better than the fucking Whistle Kids sample bullshit
Fuck you, I'm honestly a very tolerant person.

Jimmy

• Fun Hogger
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Divisions > Chads >Gulf Stream
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2019, 09:46:11 AM »

Still kinda bummed they didn't play Prophecy Now on the first Mantis ter. That was the only tune that didn't get played in CO and the only one I still haven't seen.

Mags

• Umphreak
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2019, 09:54:49 AM »

I remember receiving the Mantis deluxe set in the mail and was so pumped. It was also so cool having all of the different levels released with the more albums sold. Didn't didn't this come out the day Obama was sworn in to? Pretty cool day.

3x40oz

• Umphreak
  • Butterscotch G&L 4 lyfe
    • Soccer Bros
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2019, 10:01:10 AM »

I love the Spires ending. One of my favorite sections on the record.

+1

I still remember going on Amazon when someone said they had track snippets posted a few days before the release to get 30 second fixes. 1348 jumped out at me immediately.

Shortly after my copy of the record arrived, I had to drive from northeast PA to Philly for a job interview. I only brought Mantis and Can't Buy A Thrill by Steely Dan. I don't think SD got much play on that trip, I was pretty enamored by Mantis.
Your favorite song is probably Higgins.

mja271

• Umphreak
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2019, 10:06:26 AM »

Incredible record. I was a junior in college, first show had been April of 2008 and from there on became obsessed with the band. The hype train and preorder package for Mantis took it to another level, I was so hooked on the band. And then the record came and did not disappoint.  Obviously there were some initial struggles live with some of the tunes but once they found their footing it became an incredible record on stage as well.  M2M, Mantis, CW2, Spires, Red Tape, 1348 are all songs I'm still very excited about when I catch them live.  I'd love for another album of completely unheard material personally. 

Random Ass

• Umphreak
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2019, 10:08:21 AM »

I still remember going on Amazon when someone said they had track snippets posted a few days before the release to get 30 second fixes. 1348 jumped out at me immediately.

Ha I remember using some browser app to download the clips before they were all taken down and messaging them to tons of people.

I also remember when Made to Measure was the first track released, and there was a lot of mixed feelings on it.  And the band also released those preview recordings that were like little snippets of songs strung together, and we were trying to figure out what was what.  I remember in particular people really digging a riff that was later revealed to be part of 1348.

UMFree

• Bayliss' Therapist
  • Umphreak
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2019, 10:21:41 AM »

Ha I remember using some browser app to download the clips before they were all taken down and messaging them to tons of people.

I also remember when Made to Measure was the first track released, and there was a lot of mixed feelings on it.  And the band also released those preview recordings that were like little snippets of songs strung together, and we were trying to figure out what was what.  I remember in particular people really digging a riff that was later revealed to be part of 1348.

Totally forgot about the radio clips!! It was like an FM radio that was sweeping through different stations and it would land on little 10-15 second clips of a new song. Spires was really what caught me on that one. It kicked in right at the "the sun it seems.." part. Sick.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 10:24:21 AM by UMFree »

3x40oz

• Umphreak
  • Butterscotch G&L 4 lyfe
    • Soccer Bros
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2019, 10:24:19 AM »

Totally forgot about the radio clips!! It was like an FM radio that was sweeping through different stations and it would land on little 10-15 second clips of a new song

Ah yeah, forgot about those teasers! Think CWII was another clip, right?
Your favorite song is probably Higgins.

UMFree

• Bayliss' Therapist
  • Umphreak
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2019, 10:26:53 AM »

Totally forgot about the radio clips!! It was like an FM radio that was sweeping through different stations and it would land on little 10-15 second clips of a new song

Yep. 1348, CWII, Spires and Red Tape are the ones that I remember. Coulda been a snippet of every song by the time it was released, but I can't remember.

Random Ass

• Umphreak
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2019, 10:29:35 AM »

Yep. 1348, CWII, Spires and Red Tape are the ones that I remember. Coulda been a snippet of every song by the time it was released, but I can't remember.

I might have downloaded those, too.  I'll need to check when I'm home later.

LandLandNever

• Umphreak
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2019, 10:51:18 AM »

I remember my friends and I were so hype on this album. We had heard the M2M and 1348 in the leadup to release and were super excited. I bought it on release day and blasted it in the car ride heading back to my hometown with a buddy/former roomie who had seen a bunch of concerts together (including UM shows) and after Mantis he was like "woah...this is a different kind of Umphreys." I said "yeah...and I like it!"

Still haven't made a better pound for pound album IMO

mja271

• Umphreak
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2019, 11:05:23 AM »

I might have downloaded those, too.  I'll need to check when I'm home later.

You can find those snippets in the podcast archives

opsopcopolis

• Umphreak
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2019, 11:19:56 AM »

I definitely have those radio things downloaded. They came on my shuffle a while ago
Fuck you, I'm honestly a very tolerant person.

smellthemitten20

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Sludge & Death
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2019, 11:32:54 AM »

In retrospect, I was starting to get a bit burnt out on UM at the point that Mantis released.  I think I was in the 45 ballpark as of 12/31/08 in 2.5 years.  I wasn't the biggest fan.  There were a few tracks I really enjoyed, Spires being one of them.  I absolutely fucking HATED Red Tape which ironically has become one of my favorite tunes from the album since.  2009 is honestly one of the more overlooked years in terms of improv and I think one of the big reasons is because you'd see some song heavy setlists in comparison to 06/07/08 but there are some absolute fucking gems(Aggie Kitchen, Royal Oak Bright Lights, Penn's Peak Phil's, Mish Wappy).

peteyboy

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Jazz Odyssey
  • Setting the record for longest time to show 100.
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2019, 04:41:05 PM »

In retrospect, I was starting to get a bit burnt out on UM at the point that Mantis released.  I think I was in the 45 ballpark as of 12/31/08 in 2.5 years.  I wasn't the biggest fan.  There were a few tracks I really enjoyed, Spires being one of them.  I absolutely fucking HATED Red Tape which ironically has become one of my favorite tunes from the album since.  2009 is honestly one of the more overlooked years in terms of improv and I think one of the big reasons is because you'd see some song heavy setlists in comparison to 06/07/08 but there are some absolute fucking gems(Aggie Kitchen, Royal Oak Bright Lights, Penn's Peak Phil's, Mish Wappy).

This is totally where I was as well.  56 shows pre-09 although I started in 2002.  I didn't really like Mantis either, but I hardly enjoy any song written after Anchor Drops.   :-X This is also around the time my shows per year tanked too.

It was marketed phenomenally though, no question.  I remember the strategy getting press from non-hamband related sites.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 04:42:48 PM by peteyboy »
LTB

perry

• Umphreak
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2019, 05:07:46 PM »

Such a different time.  I remember being at the Vic album release show, the day Obama was inaugurated on MLK day.  MLK samples in the AIT.  Lot of optimism for the country and the progression of the band.  '09 was a good year.

UncleDutchman

• I'll think of something better later
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Ringo HBB August 40s Blue Echo
  • Don't take me too seriously, it's the internet
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2019, 07:19:30 PM »

Such a different time.  I remember being at the Vic album release show, the day Obama was inaugurated on MLK day.  MLK samples in the AIT.  Lot of optimism for the country and the progression of the band.  '09 was a good year.
that show was awesome. they were still riding the high from NYE at the auditorium which was a killer run. what a great time to be a UM fan, definitely a memorable era.

OBEY MY FUCKING SHEEP
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up