TheBort

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Mantis: 10 years on  (Read 2560 times)

sauce07

• Umphreak
  • I Jumped the sheep
Mantis: 10 years on
« on: January 20, 2019, 08:10:33 AM »

Mantis was released 10 years ago today. I feel this was the peak of Team UM, releasing an album where the purposely didn't play any of the songs live before hand, the entire pre-order campaign building up in tiers, the deluxe edition that felt special and not a rip off, plus the music was great. Absolutely love this album.

CarpetCrawler

• Compulsive Lai'r
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Inca Roads
  • Go Brewers!!!
Re: Mantis: 10 years on
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 08:30:35 AM »

Mantis was released 10 years ago today. I feel this was the peak of Team UM, releasing an album where the purposely didn't play any of the songs live before hand, the entire pre-order campaign building up in tiers, the deluxe edition that felt special and not a rip off, plus the music was great. Absolutely love this album.

+1  :3:

Find your happy place

UMFree

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Pick's Stew
  • is it time to play sheep yet?
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 10:42:07 AM »

Still talk about this pre-order campaign all the time. Such a good idea/model. Love this album though! Definitely the most cohesive piece of studio work that UM has put out, IMO.

I just recently found all the Mantis bonus stuff on an old hard drive and it was so cool to go back and listen. TQ Funeral ftw
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 03:26:53 PM by UMFree »
89 shows in 17 years is less than ten a year. that's some serious noob shit. get bent

Bron Yr Aur

• Umphreak
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 10:52:34 AM »

Lost all of the bonus material on a hard drive that died a while back.  Oh well.

I remember Mantis > C Walk > II blowing me away at first.  Just a really well constructed album. 

I remember OG bort hating on the super shiny studio Red Tape but honestly that's probably one of my favorite tracks now.

iamkickinit

• Umphreak
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 10:58:43 AM »

I’m fairly confident in saying that the Mantis pre-order model revolutionized the music industry. Nothing like this was happening prior to Mantis, and now you’re seeing all sorts of pre-order programs across all genres of music. Very cool.

This was such an exciting time to be a fan. I had just graduated college, was knee deep in my honeymoon phase w/the band, and the buzz just seemed so high. I had this CD in my car stereo for like 3 months straight without taking it out.

I miss those days. Less responsibilities. And it seemed like they were within 4 hours of me at least once per month. Saw 30 shows that year, and aside from Holidaze, the I only drove over 4 hours once I think.

All Thoughts Divided

• Umphreak
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 11:05:28 AM »

+1  :3:

The Abstract

• OKlahomeh
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: FDR
  • What it has will surely last but is that Jazz?
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 12:58:31 PM »

I remember Made to Measure debuting on the ‘08 NYE run and loving that song. I downloaded the album at midnight on the day it was released and I remember getting goosebumps on Turn and Run and 1348. I love when music hits you like that and I wish I could go back and listen to these tracks again for the first time. Great memories.
"Well, opinions are like assholes...everybody has one."-Det. Harry Callahan

Jimmy

• Fun Hogger
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Divisions > Chads >Gulf Stream
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 01:02:22 PM »

Such a phenomenal album and certainly great memories from that era of the band.

DiabetesCOLE

• Umphreak
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 03:18:01 PM »

Album came out my last year of highschool. That album also prompted my first four night run (at the barrymore). I might go put a playlist together of the Mantis track order, but my fav live versions.

wiscomptonslacker

• Umphreak
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 03:23:07 PM »

I echo the sentiments of almost everyone ITT. Such a phenomenal album; still my fav. Like some others ITT I was also wrapping-up HS and really sinking my teeth more deeply into UM. And I just love how moody & dark, and real that album is

opsopcopolis

• Umphreak
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 05:37:32 PM »

I have so many memories associated with the release of Mantis. I was 2 shows into my UM career and in full on obsession mode. The pre-order campaign was exactly what I needed to kick it into an even higher gear. So much anticipation while waiting for the tiers to unlock.

I think I found a pre-release version (probably somebody who just got their's a day early) because I listened to it nonstop on the bus from VT to DC to march in Obama's inaugural parade. It was the soundtrack to a wild a few days
Fuck you, I'm honestly a very tolerant person.

sauce07

• Umphreak
  • I Jumped the sheep
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2019, 06:15:24 PM »

I have so many memories associated with the release of Mantis. I was 2 shows into my UM career and in full on obsession mode. The pre-order campaign was exactly what I needed to kick it into an even higher gear. So much anticipation while waiting for the tiers to unlock.

I think I found a pre-release version (probably somebody who just got their's a day early) because I listened to it nonstop on the bus from VT to DC to march in Obama's inaugural parade. It was the soundtrack to a wild a few days

It leaked a few days early and was not to secretly shared on the old bort. I remember listening to it on the metro coming back from the Obama concert at the Lincoln Memorial on the Sunday before his inauguration.

bubba#5

• Favorite Track:: Mantis & All In Time
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2019, 11:49:32 PM »

Gorgeous album that started my love for this band. IMO studio Mantis is essentially perfect.

Jimmy

• Fun Hogger
  • Umphreak
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 09:10:17 AM »

It leaked a few days early and was not to secretly shared on the old bort. I remember listening to it on the metro coming back from the Obama concert at the Lincoln Memorial on the Sunday before his inauguration.

Off topic, but this just also reminded me of 3/10/06 when SIN had leaked. BB started teasing Intentions Clear during Sociable and the crowd started cheering loud. He grinned real big and gave a finger shake to everyone. Such a great live moment.

Random Ass

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Draconian
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 09:17:56 AM »

From what I remember, it "leaked" because a lot of people that pre-ordered got their delivery a few days before the release date.

FussyManDutch

• Mr.
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Nachos For Two
  • Make it fucking count, people
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2019, 09:19:52 AM »

10 years after the fact and I'm still in love with this album, it's just constructed so well and flows amazingly. I remember it being semi-controversial among the fans when it dropped. Lots of people didn't like the direction of it/the band. Probably my favorite album behind SIN to be honest
Simple fact it still remains

opsopcopolis

• Umphreak
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2019, 10:04:19 AM »

I also want to put down for the record that I loved hearing them play it in full in NYC.
Fuck you, I'm honestly a very tolerant person.

UMaddict

• Favorite Track:: Much Obliged
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2019, 12:43:43 PM »

Seems like everyone ITT is the same age, I too was about to graduate high school. Already fully obsessed with the band for a few years, but the hype behind this album was much greater then SIN (at least felt that way.) Even though I preordered, I still felt compelled to pick up a copy at “Borders Books & Music” on release day. Explain the concept of going to a store to buy a new cd to a senior in high school today and they might give you a weird look.

Anyway this album still rocks and I will never forgot my first time listening and being absolutely floored. What a feeling!

Jimmy

• Fun Hogger
  • Umphreak
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2019, 12:51:18 PM »

Seems like everyone ITT is the same age, I too was about to graduate high school. Already fully obsessed with the band for a few years, but the hype behind this album was much greater then SIN (at least felt that way.) Even though I preordered, I still felt compelled to pick up a copy at “Borders Books & Music” on release day. Explain the concept of going to a store to buy a new cd to a senior in high school today and they might give you a weird look.

Anyway this album still rocks and I will never forgot my first time listening and being absolutely floored. What a feeling!

It most definitely was. A growing fanbase coupled with an entirely new album with all never before heard/played songs and the epic preorder campaign - the hype for this album was the biggest in UM's history most certainly.

peteyboy

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Jazz Odyssey
  • Setting the record for longest time to show 100.
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2019, 01:30:14 PM »

I do remember two shit shows that surrounded its release.

"My deluxe edition didn't include a guitar string and theirs did!"

"They played some songs at the release show when the Colorado run was billed as 'The First Mantis shows'!"
LTB

3x40oz

• Umphreak
  • An athletic stoner nerdy bro
    • Soccer Bros
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2019, 01:34:44 PM »

"They played some songs at the release show when the Colorado run was billed as 'The First Mantis shows'!"

lol

"Anyone want to trade Joel's mom's coffee cake recipe for Andy's rib rub?"
Your favorite song is probably Higgins.

Jimmy

• Fun Hogger
  • Umphreak
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2019, 02:25:27 PM »

lol

"Anyone want to trade Joel's mom's coffee cake recipe for Andy's rib rub?"

Haha I don't remember what I got. It was like Kris' potato salad or something.

All Thoughts Divided

• Umphreak
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2019, 07:44:44 PM »

I also want to put down for the record that I loved hearing them play it in full in NYC.

Me too. I remember how butthurt Bort 1.0 was about that show and the fact UM repeated 1348 and Mantis the following night (for shame). Can’t believe it has been 10 years.

toomanypomas

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Front Porch, Uncommon
  • Preachin' the Rock n Roll Gospel
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2019, 08:51:58 PM »

It's crazy this was 10 years ago. I was a senior in HS and just getting into ham bands. This album had a huge part of pushing me over the cliff, no way my life is the same without it.
you expect us losers to have any actual insight?

gatroe

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: WLTP
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2019, 09:38:26 PM »

#bringbackprophecynow
Im not a buy the pack type.. more of the bum a cig type which is arguably worse.
What's your show stream count?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up