TheBort

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Jam of the Year 2019  (Read 11488 times)

Wrapped around Chicago and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

humpfreez

• Umphreak
Re: Jam of the Year 2019
« Reply #175 on: April 06, 2019, 09:21:24 PM »

Goddamn, add 4/4 Linear too. Sick jam. Haven't even checked out the Bright Lights and Remind Me yet, but considering they're about 17 minutes each, they sound very promising.

Bron you should consider bolding the best of the best with the number of jams on the list at this point.

That Linear is fucking wow.  The first part of the jam builds so nicely and sounds like it could drop into the ending of C Walk II at any moment, and they just kind of hold back slightly on the peak there, only to unleash the 2nd section of the jam, which kinda reminds me of 2/7/14 MO with the heavy/light moments.

Think the Intentions from 4/3 is my favorite from that run though.  The groove is so strong and funky with Jake/Bayliss/Joel really tightly interlocking and coalescing around that funk groove.  Joel needs to incorporate the Clav-esque tones into his regular rig because this is a really strong counterpoint to the guitars.

Mantis is not quite JOTY but it is def one of the most unique jams of the year.

StoneJackBaller

• Spreadneck
  • Umphreak
  • Someday Life Will Be Sweet Like A Rhapsody
« Reply #176 on: April 06, 2019, 09:32:40 PM »

Holy 4.4 Linear!!!! Probably takes the cake for me. Listened to that jam like 5 times today
I'd take Jerry Garcia on a good night over sex or food.

umphdedump

• Favorite Track:: Mad Love
« Reply #177 on: April 08, 2019, 10:46:04 AM »

The Mantis>Mitten is right up there for me. So weird and unique.

cshore

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Anything w/ Sad Bayliss
« Reply #178 on: April 08, 2019, 10:47:22 AM »

Neither is really JOTY material but together make for a huge segment. Mantis in particular is very cool
Nah man youíre reviews are whatís old, literally anything you say is the exact opposite of how the majority of the crowd feels. Get a lilfe you salty depressed loser.

umphdedump

« Reply #179 on: April 08, 2019, 11:26:30 AM »

Neither is really JOTY material but together make for a huge segment. Mantis in particular is very cool

Agreed..if I were to vote for HoF today I would vote for that segment. Thats they type of stuff that makes them so unique and different.

cshore

• Umphreak
« Reply #180 on: April 09, 2019, 01:06:35 PM »

2/14 Blue Echo is such a gem. That peak is relentless with Jake just going to town
Nah man youíre reviews are whatís old, literally anything you say is the exact opposite of how the majority of the crowd feels. Get a lilfe you salty depressed loser.

LandLandNever

• Umphreak
« Reply #181 on: April 09, 2019, 03:31:41 PM »

2/14 Blue Echo is such a gem. That peak is relentless with Jake just going to town

I love this Echo. Have listened to it many times, def in my top 10.

DULL FILLEtED

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Skip to the jam
« Reply #182 on: April 16, 2019, 10:55:14 PM »

Man that Penn's Peak GYMRH is amazing. What a jam. Especially into that Wormbog. That's gonna be a strong contender all year imo

WentzyMcSimmons

• Umphreak
« Reply #183 on: April 17, 2019, 08:48:23 AM »

Man that Penn's Peak GYMRH is amazing. What a jam. Especially into that Wormbog. That's gonna be a strong contender all year imo

I agree. Love this jam! I think I still have the Brooklyn Mantis higher though.

nextmovement41

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Blue Echo, FF, Tribute, Fir
« Reply #184 on: April 17, 2019, 09:48:31 AM »

Probably not JOTY but man Iíve listened to the 3-23 Little Gift jam like fifty times

UMFree

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Pick's Stew
  • is it time to play sheep yet?
« Reply #185 on: April 17, 2019, 09:55:18 AM »

agreed. this is probably my top contender so far. Still need to check out 4/4 Linear though.

edit: 2/14 Blecho is the fuckin shit. Lots of sections, jake layin back in the rhythm side of things for a short bit, huge peak, bounceback funk. Im more into this one than 2/15 Plunger. Brooklyn Mantis and Penn's GYMRH are tied for first in my book
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 08:59:56 AM by UMFree »
4 song set
Browning must go
1/21/18 was an embarrassment
Wellwishers jam not making
BB>Jake
Biscuits>UM

weekapaug91

• Favorite Track:: All in Time, 2x2
« Reply #186 on: May 15, 2019, 11:03:24 PM »

that plunger is the truth. everything i want out of um is in that outro

umphdedump

« Reply #187 on: May 16, 2019, 07:43:53 PM »

Not saying its the jam of the year.. but that resolution from The Ryman is noteworthy.

StoneJackBaller

• Spreadneck
  • Umphreak
  • Someday Life Will Be Sweet Like A Rhapsody
« Reply #188 on: May 16, 2019, 09:17:25 PM »

Not saying its the jam of the year.. but that resolution from The Ryman is noteworthy.

Love that jam
I'd take Jerry Garcia on a good night over sex or food.

bluish

• Favorite Track:: 1348
« Reply #189 on: May 17, 2019, 02:39:00 PM »

Do not sleep on the Penn's Peak Mantis. Groovy as anything they've done all year

Just listened to this today.  Very cool groove that veered into unexpected, interesting, and weird directions.  Would rank as my fav mantis this year, w/ the 2/16 and 4/4 versions trailing shortly behind.

Bron Yr Aur

• Umphreak
« Reply #190 on: May 19, 2019, 10:03:44 AM »

Love that jam

So good.  The metallic jam in the middle third is so good.  Love the drums jam fake-out and then back into a huge Bayliss solo. 

Do not sleep on the Penn's Peak Mantis. Groovy as anything they've done all year

Just listened to this today.  Very cool groove that veered into unexpected, interesting, and weird directions.  Would rank as my fav mantis this year, w/ the 2/16 and 4/4 versions trailing shortly behind.

The 4/4, 3/21, and 3/2 Mantis jams are all fantastic, borderline JOTY-worthy for me.  Out of that group I probably like the 4/4 the best.  I think you could make the argument that all of them could be on the list. 

That said, the 2/16 is just on another level from the other 2019 versions, IMO.  That funky yacht rock jam is so goddamn smooth.   

All Thoughts Divided

• Umphreak
« Reply #191 on: May 19, 2019, 01:44:38 PM »

Lots of great jams but the New Haven Robot World still reigns supreme for me. Love how patient, industrial and brooding it is.

Andrusy

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Shook - Milestones
« Reply #192 on: May 19, 2019, 03:23:04 PM »

Brooklyn Mantis

DULL FILLEtED

• Umphreak
« Reply #193 on: May 22, 2019, 07:52:45 AM »

The It Doesn't Matter > Plunger from Nashville is a great 30+ consecutive minutes of UM. Love the territory the IDM goes into and what a massive peak.

DULL FILLEtED

• Umphreak
« Reply #194 on: May 22, 2019, 07:56:37 AM »

I guess it's not consecutive since they stop after IDM but still 2 great back to back jams

bluish

• Favorite Track:: 1348
« Reply #195 on: May 23, 2019, 09:31:20 AM »

the IDM was my favorite jam of that run.  Nashville had a lot of good segments but overall a lot of other shows have better stand alone jams

Bron Yr Aur

• Umphreak
« Reply #196 on: May 23, 2019, 09:43:46 PM »

The It Doesn't Matter > Plunger from Nashville is a great 30+ consecutive minutes of UM. Love the territory the IDM goes into and what a massive peak.

Yeah.  That IDM jam gets into some grimey jungle house territory for a bit before developing into a monster peak.

DULL FILLEtED

• Umphreak
« Reply #197 on: May 24, 2019, 06:18:58 PM »

the IDM was my favorite jam of that run.  Nashville had a lot of good segments but overall a lot of other shows have better stand alone jams

Yeah it's been a seriously fire year. Some of my favorites are the Brooklyn Blue Echo, Seattle Jajunk and Penn's Peak GYM but I think this IDM is in the top 1 or 2 for me. So much consistency this year with the same caliber of jams as 2017 and 2018. We all know it's downhill from here lol but hoping they keep it up through the rest of the year. Still waiting for a big Draconian as that song has cooled off a bit

cshore

• Umphreak
« Reply #198 on: May 25, 2019, 02:11:30 PM »

Brooklyn Plungie still JOTFY.

Agreed on needing a Draconian with a big jam. Song has been seemingly purposefully neutuered now.

smellthemitten20

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Sludge & Death
« Reply #199 on: May 31, 2019, 10:36:02 AM »

Brooklyn Plungie still JOTFY.

Agreed on needing a Draconian with a big jam. Song has been seemingly purposefully neutuered now.

I was really high on it at first but after recent listens I just don't think it's that good.  It takes so long to get going anywhere and really the only amazing part is the soaring With or Without you peak.  2/14 Blecho is the best thing this band has played this year.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up