TheBort

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24   Go Down

Author Topic: Unpopular Opinions About Umphrey's McGee  (Read 61811 times)

StoneJackBaller

• Spreadneck
  • Umphreak
  • Someday Life Will Be Sweet Like A Rhapsody
Re: Unpopular Opinions About Umphrey's McGee
« Reply #525 on: July 10, 2019, 02:19:41 AM »

This thread sucks
I'd take Jerry Garcia on a good night over sex or food.

Stringz

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Talladega
« Reply #526 on: July 10, 2019, 07:31:12 AM »

Idk the difference between little gift and hindsight but hard pass on them both.  Similar skin is tite.  Bad Friday is good in a bright lights way, but w/o jam it's nothing.  I like no Diablo but am fine with it being shelved. 
Split open and ^

Classic douche hippie

Winnertakesall

• Umphreak
« Reply #527 on: July 10, 2019, 07:53:44 AM »

Ni Diablo is a grade a studio song but never hope to hear it live again. Same with YaYA

smellthemitten20

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Sludge & Death
« Reply #528 on: July 10, 2019, 08:18:51 AM »

Ni Diablo is a grade a studio song but never hope to hear it live again. Same with YaYA

No Diablo is awful standard.  I have absolutely 0 issues with it jammed out a la 8/9/15 No Diablo.  I'll take two 4/5 song sets of my least favorite UM tunes with tons of improv over two 7/8/9 song sets of songs that I enjoy all fucking day. 

LandLandNever

• Umphreak
« Reply #529 on: July 10, 2019, 08:53:48 AM »

No Diablo is awful standard.  I have absolutely 0 issues with it jammed out a la 8/9/15 No Diablo.  I'll take two 4/5 song sets of my least favorite UM tunes with tons of improv over two 7/8/9 song sets of songs that I enjoy all fucking day.

I would think we all would but maybe new poll question?

bluish

• Favorite Track:: 1348
« Reply #530 on: July 10, 2019, 09:04:33 AM »

depends on what kind of jams tbh

Winnertakesall

• Umphreak
« Reply #531 on: July 10, 2019, 09:11:54 AM »

depends on what kind of jams tbh

Good point. Cant stand the "jazz" jams (aka dissonant noodle) that have been popping up. To piggy back on that the fast tempo "funk"/rock jams are getting stale. The ones where kris is often going crazy with fills, stasik is sitting on a more funky bassline and bayliss and jake are just playing random shit. I would single out a specific jam as an example but i try to block those out.

Ed8t: my big problem is that kris seens to sometimes try to do way too much, which i think forces the rest of the band to be unsure of where to go. Just play a funk groove even for a minute to allow everyone to lock in.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 09:15:42 AM by Winnertakesall »

UMFree

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Pick's Stew
  • is it time to play sheep yet?
« Reply #532 on: July 10, 2019, 09:23:14 AM »

Definitely depends on quality of the jams. But that's still a tough question either way because of so many different variables. If it's guaranteed fire improv/stews, then I'm all for that. But if it's forced summercamp improv, then just gimme the good songs and im more than fine. That's a huge part of why I love this band though; just all the possibilities in general. Maybe you'll have shit songs, but incredible improv. Maybe the improv will be shit or non-existent, but they'll play amazing songs. etc..

Ed8t: my big problem is that kris seens to sometimes try to do way too much, which i think forces the rest of the band to be unsure of where to go. Just play a funk groove even for a minute to allow everyone to lock in.

Agreed. It's the same with Jake's atonal/fusion riffs and then Bayliss is just sitting there like "wtf do I play against that"
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 09:25:53 AM by UMFree »
Chicago, Chattanooga>Louisville>Indy>Kettering

chicagostylehotdog

• Favorite Track:: Day Nurse
« Reply #533 on: July 10, 2019, 09:38:17 AM »

This is why I like Aqueous. Their catalog is weak and relatively small, but they generally play 5/6 song sets with extended improv that does it for me. 

UMFree

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Pick's Stew
  • is it time to play sheep yet?
« Reply #534 on: July 10, 2019, 09:39:32 AM »

This is why I like Aqueous. Their catalog is weak and relatively small, but they generally play 5/6 song sets with extended improv that does it for me.

Same reason I got into Spafford
Chicago, Chattanooga>Louisville>Indy>Kettering

smellthemitten20

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Sludge & Death
« Reply #535 on: July 10, 2019, 09:40:15 AM »

Definitely depends on quality of the jams. But that's still a tough question either way because of so many different variables. If it's guaranteed fire improv/stews, then I'm all for that. But if it's forced summercamp improv, then just gimme the good songs and im more than fine. That's a huge part of why I love this band though; just all the possibilities in general. Maybe you'll have shit songs, but incredible improv. Maybe the improv will be shit or non-existent, but they'll play amazing songs. etc..

Agreed. It's the same with Jake's atonal/fusion riffs and then Bayliss is just sitting there like "wtf do I play against that"

I definitely understand this sentiment, but at the same time I've seen everything that I could possibly see ten times over, as I'm sure most here have.  Seeing this band take a risk and maybe not quite deliver on a 20 minute No Diablo is infinitely more exciting to me than catching standard as fuck version of some of my favorites like SF1, Example 1, Spires, etc.

Uncle Joey

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Until We Meet Again
« Reply #536 on: July 10, 2019, 10:22:25 AM »

except not every single spafford jam sounds like a generic umphreys rip off that drools on for 20 mins while covering hardly any ground

mja271

• Umphreak
« Reply #537 on: July 11, 2019, 01:56:55 PM »

I love good improv and yea that's definitely the driver of what keeps me coming back to a band, but I have a hard time reaching a certain level of fandom if I don't genuinely enjoy the songs.  It just adds an extra layer of connection and often makes the improv more impactful when it comes out of stuff you really enjoy. 

terminallyphil

• Oregonizer
  • Umphreak
  • mostly chill, down for a thrill, not tryin to kill
« Reply #538 on: July 11, 2019, 02:20:49 PM »

except not every single spafford jam sounds like a generic umphreys rip off that drools on for 20 mins while covering hardly any ground

Spafford is the epitome of derivative jambandery
"Fuck you, lol" - JWelsh

bluish

« Reply #539 on: July 11, 2019, 02:30:35 PM »

I love good improv and yea that's definitely the driver of what keeps me coming back to a band, but I have a hard time reaching a certain level of fandom if I don't genuinely enjoy the songs.  It just adds an extra layer of connection and often makes the improv more impactful when it comes out of stuff you really enjoy.

Winnertakesall

• Umphreak
« Reply #540 on: July 11, 2019, 02:50:46 PM »

Yea thats the biggest problem i have with UM. They refuse to play their good songs.

opsopcopolis

• Umphreak
« Reply #541 on: July 11, 2019, 02:52:13 PM »

Yea thats the biggest problem i have with Phish. Their songs are all trash.

ftfy
Fuck you, I'm honestly a very tolerant person.

AlexTheDictator

• Umphreak
« Reply #542 on: July 11, 2019, 03:09:17 PM »

ftfy

Horrifically triggered over here.  I need a safe space.

bluish

« Reply #543 on: July 11, 2019, 03:12:01 PM »

ftfy

lol it hurt to read but the blatant trashing is also funny

YesDiablo1996

• Favorite Track:: No Diablo
  • Ya but he wrote Divisions
« Reply #544 on: July 11, 2019, 03:29:47 PM »

ftfy

Mama sing sing tho

Winnertakesall

• Umphreak
« Reply #545 on: July 11, 2019, 03:32:58 PM »

ftfy

100% agreed yet I enjoyed myself more at phish than I have at any 2019 UM show ive attended.

cshore

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: noodly jams
« Reply #546 on: July 11, 2019, 03:33:58 PM »

Yea thats the biggest problem i have with UM. They refuse to play their good songs.

UM plays their good songs they just also play their bad songs. Although lately I haven't been Whistle'd or Looks'd or Cut Off'd in a long time so feeling pretty good about that.
Hey brah listen to my band's live album: https://misterf.bandcamp.com/album/flive-2

Hilikus

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Don't Laugh (I love you)
« Reply #547 on: July 11, 2019, 04:19:33 PM »

That's why post 2008 UM will never be as exciting for me, and I suspect a few others who don't post on this DBMB anymore.  Too much of the new material is not that great IMO.  Catching UM live is slowly becoming a similar experience to seeing Spafford and tDB for my tastes.  A substantial portion of the show I'm bored just praying for improv/better songs to come.  I like UM's composed material as a whole way more than every other jam band.

As far as the improv goes, can't say I agree with cshore's opinion on modern day improv vs. golden years UM but I'm glad to hear people feel that way.  I hope the band continues to succeed and play larger venues.

cshore

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: noodly jams
« Reply #548 on: July 11, 2019, 04:34:34 PM »

That's why post 2008 UM will never be as exciting for me, and I suspect a few others who don't post on this DBMB anymore.  Too much of the new material is not that great IMO.  Catching UM live is slowly becoming a similar experience to seeing Spafford and tDB for my tastes.  A substantial portion of the show I'm bored just praying for improv/better songs to come.  I like UM's composed material as a whole way more than every other jam band.

As far as the improv goes, can't say I agree with cshore's opinion on modern day improv vs. golden years UM but I'm glad to hear people feel that way.  I hope the band continues to succeed and play larger venues.

I've experienced this before obviously but I think the rotation is better this year than it has been the past 3-5 years overall. When I look at my mental shortlist of songs I really don't want to see live, it seems most of them have been relegated to very few plays.

Whistle Kids: 3
Looks: 3
No Diablo: 1
Dark Brush: 1
Cut Off: 1
Piranhas: 0
Deeper: 1
Hindsight: 1
Upward: 4
Little Gift: 2 (somehow both pretty good versions with jams)
Make It Right: 3 (I know a lot of you like this one, I don't like it at all)

Seasons is the only one that is annoying me these days. 10 plays this year and I've seen half of them. I don't even hate the song but I am tired of it showing up and eating 8 minutes of my set literally every weekend. Silent Type is also popping up way too often but somehow I've only seen it once this year.

That's about it for me personally. I know some of you guys don't like the Educated Guess/ITB/Maybe Someday/Triangle Tear type songs but I'm all about those songs so those don't bother me at all.

It almost feels like they're weeding out the songs that suck lol
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 04:37:12 PM by cshore »
Hey brah listen to my band's live album: https://misterf.bandcamp.com/album/flive-2

StoneJackBaller

• Spreadneck
  • Umphreak
  • Someday Life Will Be Sweet Like A Rhapsody
« Reply #549 on: July 11, 2019, 04:45:30 PM »

Agree with pretty much all of that^^ Also Mantis is the best album imo and it came out in '09. I like a lot of new UM too. I think they're in a great place right now and only moving forward. The jams have been outstanding the past 3 years as well. With this year leading the pack.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 05:06:17 PM by StoneJackBaller »
I'd take Jerry Garcia on a good night over sex or food.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24   Go Up