TheBort

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24   Go Down

Author Topic: Unpopular Opinions About Umphrey's McGee  (Read 61827 times)

Albert Ross

• Umphreak
Unpopular Opinions About Umphrey's McGee
« on: November 19, 2013, 01:20:27 PM »

This is the thread where you can share your opinions that nobody shares. Free of judgment... well, not really, feel free to trash talk other peoples opinions cause this is the internet and that's what it's for. But yeah I just thought it would be cool to have a thread where people could post their desert island opinions  :tumbleweed:

I'll go first: I think Push the Pig produces better improv than Triple Wide, at least in this current era of UM. I just think 3x is really overrated; I understand its appeal, but I prefer so many other dance songs over it.

WOLFpacker16

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Reso, Example 1, Tribute, DBK
Re: Unpopular Opinions About Umphrey's McGee
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 01:31:36 PM »

Push the Pig is one of my favorite umph songs.  Heavy intro/verses, love the lyrical delivery in the chorus, like the lyrics, love that they jam it. 

Ocean Billy is one of my least favorite umph songs.  The intro kind of drags along and the build up doesn't really do a whole lot for me.  Usually my opinion on songs will change once I see it live but I have yet to witness a huge OB unfortunately.  Got standard town'd at Myrtle Beach earlier this year.

I also like Walletsworth a lot too if only for the breakdown and Joel solo.  I don't hate hourglass nearly as much as most of you.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 01:37:03 PM by WOLFpacker16 »
If you look I'm sure you'd see, nothing's really as it seems...

Albert Ross

• Umphreak
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 01:40:37 PM »

Ooh speaking of Walletsworth, I was listening to a standard version yesterday and I realized I actually really love that song. Sometimes I feel they drop it at the wrong time at shows, but as a composition I can't get enough of it. I'd lump it into songs that I love but only have the patience to see at shows once every few weeks or so.

WOLFpacker16

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Reso, Example 1, Tribute, DBK
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 01:43:59 PM »

Ooh speaking of Walletsworth, I was listening to a standard version yesterday and I realized I actually really love that song. Sometimes I feel they drop it at the wrong time at shows, but as a composition I can't get enough of it. I'd lump it into songs that I love but only have the patience to see at shows once every few weeks or so.

I think I like so much because they played it at my first show.  And I still love every song I heard at my first show haha.  I feel like those songs have been ingrained in my mind forever
If you look I'm sure you'd see, nothing's really as it seems...

Albert Ross

• Umphreak
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 01:45:45 PM »

I think I like so much because they played it at my first show.  And I still love every song I heard at my first show haha.  I feel like those songs have been ingrained in my mind forever

For sure that makes a lot of sense. My first show opened with Push The Pig > Tinkles, I think that might be why I love Tinkles so much, plus any time they drop unexpectedly into Tinkles out of the end of the previous song. You know what would be awesome? Sociable Jimmy > Tinkles drop.

Andrusy

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Shook - Milestones
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 02:06:26 PM »

Morning Song, Words, and Believe the Lie are three songs I could welcome at any show I ever go to.  They are also the reason why I love this band so much. Excellent songs whether you're into Baylor tears or not.

UmphreakinPoopinAtItAgain

• Umphreak
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 02:08:08 PM »

There are some unpopular opinions in this thread:

http://www.thebort.com/index.php/topic,9239.0.html

::)

jachapman

• @chapstickfunk
  • Global Moderator
  • Umphreak
  • Funkin' New Orleans, Man
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 02:08:08 PM »

Bad Poker is the worst fucking song this band has ever played.  All of you fanboys only chase it because you want your stats, bros.

Two Dips is the best song to have been at least partially written by UM members in the last 2 years.

Mixed Bizness was the best countdown song in history.

This band should NEVER play a Beatles song again.

CYHMK is fucking atrocious.
How does that chap your dick man?
I wish just once an SJW cuck like Jachapman would use logic to convince me of something

Yawnspterodactyl

• Umphreak
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 02:09:26 PM »

Bad Poker is the worst fucking song this band has ever played.  All of you fanboys only chase it because you want your stats, bros.

Two Dips is the best song to have been at least partially written by UM members in the last 2 years.

CYHMK is fucking atrocious.

I agree with all of this!!

jachapman

• @chapstickfunk
  • Global Moderator
  • Umphreak
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 02:09:41 PM »

fuck.  wrong thread'd
I wish just once an SJW cuck like Jachapman would use logic to convince me of something

barkingpenguin

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Divisions
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 02:09:45 PM »

Tinkles is way over-rated. I've heard it at almost every show I've seen and I'm tired of it.
Still recovering from the 70's.

Albert Ross

• Umphreak
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 02:10:57 PM »

Tinkles is way over-rated. I've heard it at almost every show I've seen and I'm tired of it.

Let's trade. I always miss it by one show.

One of these I 100% agree with, the other I could not disagree with more.

Sociable Hodor

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 02:12:17 PM »

Morning Song, Words, and Believe the Lie are three songs I could welcome at any show I ever go to.  They are also the reason why I love this band so much. Excellent songs whether you're into Baylor tears or not.

Couldn't agree more.

the fussy asianmelt

• the ______ asianman
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Trash Can Mantis
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 02:14:01 PM »

I don't think we can be friends anymore. That song is the worst. Complete waste of time as far as I'm concerned.

EDIT: There are sets that get Shine On'd and then IMO, there are sets that get Morning Song'd.
Two parts fussy, one part asian, and a fuck ton of melt!

flyfishmich

• Gone Fishin'
  • Administrator
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Macho Man>YMCA>In The Navy
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 02:14:45 PM »

CYHMK is The Rolling Stones are fucking atrocious.
This band should NEVER play a Beatles Rolling Stones song again.
I value your understanding of who the band has been and their path to now, but God help me, sometimes I just want you to shut up.

jachapman

• @chapstickfunk
  • Global Moderator
  • Umphreak
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 02:17:38 PM »

I don't think we can be friends anymore. That song is the worst. Complete waste of time as far as I'm concerned.

EDIT: There are sets that get Shine On'd and then IMO, there are sets that get Morning Song'd.

Spring 2006... /shudders

LiquidDreams

• bUMphreak
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: DBK, August, MO
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 02:18:39 PM »

Anchor Drops is their worst song.

I go to bed at night thanking sweet baby Jesus that I have had the great fortune of NOT seeing one Anchor Drops in 2013.

Southern Dan

• Grown Ass Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Umphreak
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 02:18:47 PM »

At least Morning Song is only 7 minutes...SOYCD is more than double that.  Fuck I hate hearing that song at UM shows...

Andrusy

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Shook - Milestones
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 02:21:41 PM »

I totally get that logic, but it doesn't take away the fact that its a very well done song both compositionally and lyrically. Unpopular Opinion'd

BAYYYYYYYY :'( :'( :'( :'( LORRRRRRRRR

the fussy asianmelt

• the ______ asianman
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Trash Can Mantis
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 02:24:43 PM »

At least Morning Song is only 7 minutes...SOYCD is more than double that.  Fuck I hate hearing that song at UM shows...

Touche.

I totally get that logic, but it doesn't take away the fact that its a very well done song both compositionally and lyrically. Unpopular Opinion'd

BAYYYYYYYY :'( :'( :'( :'( LORRRRRRRRR

Compositionally, hard to argue with you there. But that song makes me want to cry and not because I'm so caught up in emotional Baylor moment.
Two parts fussy, one part asian, and a fuck ton of melt!

Burt Herdbath

• JWelsh For A Day
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: whiskey wild
  • The Dragon with the Girl Tattoo
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2013, 02:25:29 PM »

mantis is my #1 pissbreak song.

Sociable Hodor

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2013, 02:28:13 PM »

Ive managed to avoid Mantis through 22 shows. Looking forward to hearing my first one but then probably never again.

flyfishmich

• Gone Fishin'
  • Administrator
  • Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Macho Man>YMCA>In The Navy
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2013, 02:28:44 PM »

Wellwishers is the perfect length for a mid-set trip to the bathroom and a quick beer.
I value your understanding of who the band has been and their path to now, but God help me, sometimes I just want you to shut up.

AvocadoRivalry

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: AIT, Bridgeless, Words, Pequod
  • The sun it seems, is lifted from my dreams.
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2013, 02:31:58 PM »

I'm having a hard time thinking of two songs I'd rather see less at a show.  I will never understand all the love for Morning Song. 

Words and BtL on the other hand...
UM Bowl > Day after?

cjbrambo

• Umphreak
  • Favorite Track:: Estimated Brahphet
  • serious player
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2013, 02:33:46 PM »

I am always skeptical of a guest sit in. That can screw shit up real quick and I'd just rather not..

ITK, sometimes I just want to skip right past it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24   Go Up